Crap/Not Crap: Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars

Poll ended at Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:03 pm You may select 1 option

Crap: Your big night just got smaller
Total votes: 18 (69%)
Not Crap: You don't cut a man's wife like that
Total votes: 8 (31%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Crap/Not Crap: Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars

I thought Will Smith cracking up initially was the biggest tell. It was probably even a phony laugh. Will Smith playing Will Smith playing Will Smith. He probably gets really confused sometimes.

I thought it was a pretty fucking hard slap.

Will Smith likes to slap people.

Rock took it well. He has a good chin.

I thought his speech when accepting the award was disgusting.

Worse than Tom Cruise.

Happyman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 12:52 am I thought Will Smith cracking up initially was the biggest tell. It was probably even a phony laugh. Will Smith playing Will Smith playing Will Smith. He probably gets really confused sometimes.

I thought it was a pretty fucking hard slap.
Hardslap is a terrible 90's band name.

That slap was not hard and barely connected. It was broadly telegraphed and Rock ducked out of the worst of it.

As far as Smith laughing, he was laughing at everything Rock had just said and clearly was still processing when he realized what the joke meant. Rock is funny and it's normal to laugh preemptively at things when an expert comedian is on a roll. While I cannot read Will Smith's mind, he was displaying normal human behavior.
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

ChudFusk wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 3:09 am
Will Smith [redacted] displaying normal human behavior.
Would watch this Errol Morris documentary.

Like the previous poster said. He processed the joke and loved it. Or at least pretended to. His wife was pissed and things changed. This is some coward phony shit. For a minute he was Chris' boy.

it was also Will Smith acting like the king of stars with special privilege . He knew he was going to win the stupid award he's geared his whole life around winning for 15 years, which is in part why he probably momentarily felt like he could act like the king of Hollywood with a point to prove.

He could have addressed how offensive he found the incident in his (disgusting) speech.

imagine if Matt Damon pulled that shit. Imagine if Chris Rock pulled that shit.

It was a hard a slap. Chris Rock, the comedian, said seconds after that Will Smith had slapped the shit out him. MMA stars were commenting on how good a slap it was.

Also, did Rock know she had alopecia? It suits her and would be very easy to mistake as a stylistic choice. So you make a fucking GI Jane joke. A real MAN would call Rock after the show. Or like i said, address it in his speech.
Last edited by Happyman on Tue Mar 29, 2022 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

enframed wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 am It was a joke, about alopecia, which, if there is a single medical condition that one could safely make fun of, that ought to be it, it's harmless.
Hard disagree. I know people who've really struggled with it. Completely agree that it's not physically harmful, but the list of harmful conditions that aren't physically harmful is pretty massive.

Why is it harmful? Because people are often arseholes towards sufferers, and society creates a lot of pressure about appearance. Evidence of both these factors is clear in this incident. You can argue that people shouldn't let how they feel about their appearance affect them, but I think spending the same time trying to get people to be less dickish about difference might be a more useful application of your energies.

Dudley wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 6:23 am
enframed wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 am It was a joke, about alopecia, which, if there is a single medical condition that one could safely make fun of, that ought to be it, it's harmless.
Hard disagree. I know people who've really struggled with it. Completely agree that it's not physically harmful, but the list of harmful conditions that aren't physically harmful is pretty massive.

Why is it harmful? Because people are often arseholes towards sufferers, and society creates a lot of pressure about appearance.
Yep. Aging actresses have a hard enough time keeping the phone ringing as is.
Music

Illness is obviously quite a sensitive subject depending on the person, and I think he was right to stand up for his wife. I think hitting someone is a fucked up course of action though.
He could've used his winning moment, or simply the cameras at the time of the joke, to embarrass or deride Rock's poor choice of topic.

It reveals him as a child who's unable to control his emotions, not a 53 year old man.

I love a good "Millionaires Have Feelings Too" thread.

I have known people with Alopecia as well, when I was in high school. They both took it in stride and were cool as fuck. And they didn't have Hollywood Star in their names, or close.

Yes, some people are more sensitive than others, but fuck man, you're all fucking adults at a what is basically a comedy show, celebrating how wonderful you are, just by virtue of your being in attendance.

What Rock said was sooo much more tame than 90% of what Gervais does at the Golden Globes. I wonder if it was Idris Elba who cracked the joke that Smith would have responded the same.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

andyman wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:34 am It reveals him as a child who's unable to control his emotions, not a 53 year old man.
This might be right in this given instance, but it seems a blanket response from people who often, for whatever reason, either fail to understand or refuse to acknowledge violence as a contained and controlled force.

I'm in my mid-forties, and boxed a lot as a kid. With that, and a lot of Nazi flattening down the years, 'fighting' is a controlled thing. There are plenty of occasions where an adult can throw a punch and it has nothing to do with being a child, or failing to control emotions. It's just summing up a situation, and calmly concluding a crack is in order.

Digression had. As you were.
at war with bellends