Crap/Not Crap: Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars

Poll ended at Sun Apr 03, 2022 11:03 pm You may select 1 option

Crap: Your big night just got smaller
Total votes: 18 (69%)
Not Crap: You don't cut a man's wife like that
Total votes: 8 (31%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Crap/Not Crap: Will Smith assaulting Chris Rock on stage at the Oscars

tonyballzee wrote: Tue Mar 29, 2022 8:33 pm I like Chris Rock, but he disrespected a man's wife in a room full of his peers and TV viewers worldwide. Will Smith probably didn't care but his wife did so he had to do something. He just smacked him, he didn't punch his lights out.
So, hitting people is ok?

I honestly don't give a fuck about the oscars or any of these idiots, but it genuinely makes me sad and uncomfortable that grown adults think hitting people is fine when words would probably do a better job.

andyman wrote:So, hitting people is ok?
You tell me.

You gonna tell that man that hitting the racist was not OK?

Minstrel shows were once "just a joke." Change doesn't happen until people are too scared not to change, and if all it takes is a slap then I'd say it's a slap well spent. For the record, I don't think women need protection from words, or that violence is always the solution to hurt feelings. But Jada is a constant target for harassment, including from Chris Rock, and this was the biggest platform on which Will Smith could have made it clear not to fuck with her any more. Yes he should have done that with words, but bullies rarely respond to reason.

Here's another black person's perspective on this, which some of you need to hear because I'm definitely seeing a culturally uhmm *narrow* perspective.

Aaron Davis - VIOLENCE, BULLYING AND BEING BLACK IN AMERICA
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

It's clearly not just black people/men who consider violence to be legitimate cultural expression. The number of white American and British people/men I've heard in the last 48 hours saying that if any man insults another man's wife, girlfriend, mother or other female relative, it is not only your right but your male duty to hit them in the face.

I've also never heard so many people describe hair loss as a disability before.

Man... I go to turn on a little AFV to watch with my kid and I just so happened to catch this moment. (AFV wasn't on due to the Oscars. Total bummer. AFV rules.)

I never even watched the fresh prince as my brother had a DJ Jazzy Jeff cassette and back then, if my brother owned it, I wouldn't touch it. I think I kinda liked that movie where he was in the city overrun by zombies or whatever though. Been a while but I think I dug it?

Turns out, WS is a total massengil-dripping douchebag. He punches comedians DURING awards shows and then lip syncs to his own song while clutching the oscar backstage.

But what a man though! Amirite?

Disrespected, hahaha. You're in the front row at the Oscars ffs. You talk about allllllll your shit on your wife's podcast or whatever.

Typical macho junk, tho it's hard to say a slap is all that macho, I guess. I like Smith calling himself a "protector of women" and a "vessel for love" and a "river to his people" in his acceptance speech. Give me a break.

It did give everyone a reason to have sat through the Oscars, though, which is probably a relief if you made the effort.

I do hope Chris Rock went straight back to his hotel and started rewriting his act for the tour that starts...tonight. If that shit happened to Richard Pryor or Lenny Bruce, it's a half hour of bald lady jokes to start off the next show, no question.

It wouldn't have happened to Dave Chappelle--too fit. Bad risk/reward when you make a living off your face.

eephus wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 5:33 pm Disrespected, hahaha. You're in the front row at the Oscars ffs. You talk about allllllll your shit on your wife's podcast or whatever.

Typical macho junk, tho it's hard to say a slap is all that macho, I guess. I like Smith calling himself a "protector of women" and a "vessel for love" and a "river to his people" in his acceptance speech. Give me a break.

It did give everyone a reason to have sat through the Oscars, though, which is probably a relief if you made the effort.

I do hope Chris Rock went straight back to his hotel and started rewriting his act for the tour that starts...tonight. If that shit happened to Richard Pryor or Lenny Bruce, it's a half hour of bald lady jokes to start off the next show, no question.

It wouldn't have happened to Dave Chappelle--too fit. Bad risk/reward when you make a living off your face.
Not exactly...

https://comicbook.com/movies/news/watch ... d-up-show/
Watch: Chris Rock Addresses the Will Smith Slap in Clip From Stand-Up Show
"I don't have a bunch of sh-t about what happened," Rock told the crowd" So if you came to hear that, I have a whole show I wrote before this weekend. I'm still kind of processing what happened. So at some point I'll talk about that sh-t. And it will be serious and funny."