Re: How we make experimental noise

Reality breakdown wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 2:00 pm I wasn’t playing much guitar for a few years, but I was using my iphone voice memos to record anything cool I heard walking around. Construction, sawing, machines, motors, birds, frogs, wind, water. Moog makes a phone app called “Filtatron,” which adds varispeed, looping and sound manipulation to field recordings. That one has been useful for collecting samples of tv and things around the house. I can build a pretty dense track layering a few of these recordings and playing a single instrument over top. It sounds like horror movie music.
Hell yes. I’ve had a lot of fun with this but I used a little Korg Monotron, later an MS-20. Lots of good stuff.

The tone machine fuzz is prob my favorite fuzz I don’t own right now. So grinding.

I have this idea. Get some synths and put them on the floor. Next find some cats. Finally put said cats into room with synths and record results. No cat nip should be involved because god only knows what that does to them and I feel they get lethargic under the influence.

Also placing contact mics on Fax machines and paper shredders.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Mickey242 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:32 pm I have this idea. Get some synths and put them on the floor. Next find some cats. Finally put said cats into room with synths and record results. No cat nip should be involved because god only knows what that does to them and I feel they get lethargic under the influence.

I like the randomness of animals as a sound orchestration thing. A few years ago the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem MA had a thing where it was a room with a dozen or so guitars, cradled horizontally, plugged into small amps, and a bunch of little songbirds that would regularly land on the strings. There was a double set of doors and you could walk among it all. Was very cool.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

Verge of Light wrote: Fri Apr 08, 2022 2:48 pm I've been meaning to post this for ages, but it required a little work. Here are screen caps of the Craigs List ad for my latest bit of gear.

[SNIP]

It sounds really good too. It'll be on my upcoming tape on Cipher Productions.
You can hear this thing in action on every track of this new release of mine:

(Please forgive the spamishness)
Quitter / Canady tape and digital out now.

twelvepoint wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 11:21 pm
Mickey242 wrote: Sat Apr 09, 2022 8:32 pm I have this idea. Get some synths and put them on the floor. Next find some cats. Finally put said cats into room with synths and record results. No cat nip should be involved because god only knows what that does to them and I feel they get lethargic under the influence.

I like the randomness of animals as a sound orchestration thing. A few years ago the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem MA had a thing where it was a room with a dozen or so guitars, cradled horizontally, plugged into small amps, and a bunch of little songbirds that would regularly land on the strings. There was a double set of doors and you could walk among it all. Was very cool.
My friend Zoe has a parrot that plays theramin at noise gigs. I'll see if I can find some footage
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

might be a long shot here, but is anyone using microprocessors and code for their experimental noise efforts? I ask because for a new typewriter project, I have an arduino that responds to MIDI receives, sends PWM output to drive a motor, and monitors/corrects motor speed. I'd be interested if anyone had any related work, or would like to share sound-related tips and tricks with arduino, feather or Pi stuff.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com