Re: Shoegaze

Vibracobra wrote: Sun Jul 03, 2022 1:31 am I like early Lush probably more then MBV too. The sound that guy from Cocteau twins gave'em probably has a lot to do.

When Ladykillers and the album that includes it were released they've become more of a brit pop band. Still good, but less interesting.
True but some of the early MBV stuff is like goth-a-billy. I personally don't really like Loveless that much. It's too indulgent for me, and the songwriting isn't that great, to me at least.

Smashing Pumpkins are kinda shoegaze imo. That BOSS Heavy Metal Distortion pedal with soft singing over the top and drum triggers... like on Today, or Cherub Rock. Not that great, but still shoe-gazey.

Kniferide wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 1:48 pm I'll usually take Isn't Anything over Loveless, though I really like Loveless, a lot of it sounds cheezeballs to be now. In the Presence of Nothing and Eccsame the Photon Band both overtake Loveless to be nowadayz. I'm a pretty big fan of Horsedrawn Wishes if that is in the running too.
I wanted to make sure Lilys got their due in this thread. The first time I saw MBV Kurt did a kinda rambling solo set as the opener. I’d seen a couple live versions of Lilys to that point, and there was something kinda fitting that the “reunion” of MBV was preceded by this sort of deranged version of Jonathan Richman opening. I love all he does.

Also Swirlies, who I didn’t see mentioned, representing that weirdo, damaged NE brand of MBV.

As to the heavier stuff, there’s a band called Pyramids out of Denton that’s a weird amalgamation of swirling guitars and heavy programmed drums.

The most recent - presumably last - Hum record was super good and overlooked.

I’ll think of others.

tommy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:46 am As for modern stuff I'm still really enjoying DIIV.
I've tried with this band, but maybe I'm missing something. Any one record/song you'd recommend?

On the erstwhile shoegaze thread I cheered Path from Kraus. Still awesome. Eye Escapes is a collection of recordings between then and now.

Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 12:49 pm
tommy wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 9:46 am As for modern stuff I'm still really enjoying DIIV.
I've tried with this band, but maybe I'm missing something. Any one record/song you'd recommend?
Between Tides maybe? Super love the last minute of it.

I like all 3 records for different reasons. Their sound definitely changes, so maybe give the first 3 songs of each a shot. Oshin was the first one that grabbed me but Deceiver is the one I've been listening to more lately. Try this. Listen to an Ovlov record first (not shoegaze, and only if you like them). Then put on Deceiver afterward. It's kind of a nice transition.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 1:56 pmTry this. Listen to an Ovlov record first (not shoegaze, and only if you like them)...
Ovlov is pretty fucking good. Just got into them via their latest, Buds. "Land of Steve-O" is a perfect song 😭

thanks for the recs and process!

tommy wrote:...Deceiver is the one I've been listening to more lately
I've thoroughly enjoyed chunks of this, so thank you for that! "Like Before You Were Born" gets me where I live and bathe. Crackin' tune. I'd be remiss if I didn't state that I followed my truth and listened to "Don't Answer Me" by Alan Parson's Project instead of Ovlov, like, a couple of times. What a gloriously pretty song.

rsmurphy wrote: Wed Jul 20, 2022 9:14 pm
tommy wrote:...Deceiver is the one I've been listening to more lately
I've thoroughly enjoyed chunks of this, so thank you for that! "Like Before You Were Born" gets me where I live and bathe. Crackin' tune. I'd be remiss if I didn't state that I followed my truth and listened to "Don't Answer Me" by Alan Parson's Project instead of Ovlov, like, a couple of times. What a gloriously pretty song.
Awesome. Glad I could help.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/