Nina "Art is horseshit buy tacos" Nastasia?

Nary a Crap
Total votes: 29 (100%)
Crap (No votes)
Total votes: 29

Re: Singer & Songwriter: Nina Nastasia

By the way...

Does anyone have any insight into how hands-on Kennan Gudjonsson was with the songwriting and what musical contributions he made to the recordings?

I'm just trying to grasp at how he appeared to be practically glued to Nina at all times (and we know now this had very unhealthy consequences for both), but as far as official credits go, Kennan is only listed as playing a piano on "Oblivion" (I had listened to this song at least a hundred times before someone in the old PRF pointed out what the piano was doing, and I can't believe I never noticed it before) and as a generic "performer" credit on the songs "Superstar" and "The Body".

tallchris wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:30 pmSaw her w/ Mogwai and she opened with an a capella song (I'm assuming off the new record) and the entire 1,000+ crowd was dead silent. Hadn't seen her live since 2008.
Kicking myself for not catching her on that tour. Was likely here a few days before or after you caught her. Hopefully she tours her new album properly and comes back to town...

Favs are You Follow Me and Run To Ruin.

NC for life.

chexmixbreath wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:18 pm By the way...

Does anyone have any insight into how hands-on Kennan Gudjonsson was with the songwriting and what musical contributions he made to the recordings?

I'm just trying to grasp at how he appeared to be practically glued to Nina at all times (and we know now this had very unhealthy consequences for both), but as far as official credits go, Kennan is only listed as playing a piano on "Oblivion" (I had listened to this song at least a hundred times before someone in the old PRF pointed out what the piano was doing, and I can't believe I never noticed it before) and as a generic "performer" credit on the songs "Superstar" and "The Body".

I spoke to him about it once but its hard to explain. i think everything was pretty collaborative in terms of how they approached things, particularly in terms of presentation, once she had written the sketch of a song. A second set of ears she trusted and worked with. I don't think he played much, but knew the basics. I don't think he played on the records other than where noted.

Others could answer better than me.
tallchris wrote: Fri Apr 29, 2022 12:30 pm
Saw her w/ Mogwai and she opened with an a capella song (I'm assuming off the new record) and the entire 1,000+ crowd was dead silent. Hadn't seen her live since 2008.

I was obsessively searching youtube for new footage while she was on tour. This is all that ever came up. It's incredible.

chexmixbreath wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:18 pm By the way...

I had the impression it was more production and musical arrangements (but there are far more qualified people here who hopefully will come along and clarify)

New song "This is Love" reminds me of Nirvana and the Wipers. Very cool.

***I am editing this post a few weeks later. I wrote it after one or two listens without fully taking in the lyrics and fully grasping the song. The comment and the "very cool" in particular makes me feel like a dumb arsehole.

It is an incredible song. I can't stop listening to it. I have no idea what to say about it.