Re: Unpleasant Fan-to-Artist Interactions

Haha, what was it that fm steve called me? I don't recall exactly, but it was from the opposite side of an argument. It wasn't meant to be an argument but steve was passionately wrong about something. I can relate.

I once came up face-to-face with the drummer from Shihad backstage at at show, said "oh, hi" and he just stared at me with this look of total contempt on his face which I guess is the face he uses on his fans. I don't give a fuck about Shihad and only said hi because he was right in my way. Whatever. What a surly man. Yeah, I guess I'll judge his character on that five second interaction, but what a face.

On the other side, my band played an opener for John Halvorsen (The Gordons, Skeptics, Bailter Space) and his new band just yesterday, and he was very nice and friendly and normal. The audience was more aloof and chin-strokey than we're used to though, a reminder that the music snobs of the '90s are still out there.

I do forget just how unpleasant the band scene was in the '90s, but if you were cool you were too cool, and if you were not cool you were NOT cool. Now everybody is old and nobody is cool.

ChudFusk wrote: Sun Aug 14, 2022 5:53 pm Shiwho? You can tell him I said that if you wanna burn him up.
They were the biggest band in NZ in the 90s by their own estimation; they tried to break into the US and got hit with a hard nope.

Given the horrible standard of nu metal that was coming out of the States at the time you might have thought they had a shot but such is the fickle nature of fame. They weren't the first band to think they were too big for New Zealand only to find out that they were only big in New Zealand. They're still going, though.

Not unpleasant but more embarrassing, when former FM Tom was interning at EA and I was in town he invited me to check out the studio and the Breeders were recording Title TK. When I met Kim Deal I said "I have all your albums...oh no..." She politely smiled and I made my way out of the room.

I do indeed have all her albums though.
f.k.a. jimmy two hands

indiegrab_360 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 11:52 pm
Anonymous37 wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:45 pm
Jimbo wrote: Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:04 pm When I met Kim Deal I said "I have all your albums...oh no..."
I don’t get it. Is there some reason I’m missing why it would be embarrassing to tell Kim Deal you have all her albums?
Up until that point it's what... all 2 of em? Last Splash and Pod?
Safari EP! RIght?

Not an album, but whatevs.