Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

Mickey242 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:59 pm
Kniferide wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 2:45 pm has anyone ever used one of the Warm Audio 4 ch API "clones"? I can get one for $850 and haven't used any of their gear other than the cheap pair of 47Fet Jr. mics I have, which sound fine, but do feel pretty cheap to hold. wondering if the switches and knobs are garbage or something. seems like they source good transformers and stuff. Opinions?
I own an WA-412. They do seem to feel a little lower mid range to me when driven hard. The pots stepped so there is that to think of but they are a pretty solid build.
I doubt any of the front panel buttons are going to fail any time soon.

I also have one. Knobs all seem fine to me. The switches don't feel bombproof, but they aren't bad. The whole thing seems pretty solid to me. The rear 1/4" connectors are the only place it feels a little cheap to me (they don't have hex nuts, so I assume they are PCB mounted). I snagged the first $750 one I saw, so deals do pop up on Reverb, albeit not often.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Ampeg RB-210 combo

40 lbs, sounds like an Ampeg, plenty of volume. I do double-duty on keys (wurli, rhodes, synth bass) and bass in my band and it handles both very well.
Only minor gripe: the aux input is post DI output, so I can't use it as in an input for my keyboard and have a single DI feed to the FOH mixer. I have to use an external active summing box to get both instruments in the main input jack, but then the keys are running through the tone-stack, which isn't ideal.

JHS Summing Amp

As mentioned above, I needed a simple way to sum two instruments into one amp. I was previously using a Whirlwind Selector ABY pedal to do the summing, but it was a tone-suck and dropped the volume by about 3 dB.
This thing is a basic op-amp active summing stage. Sounds fine, doesn't have any noticeable frequency roll-off on either end. Yeah, I could have built something myself, but this was cheap enough that I didn't want to bother.

got a second-hand (obviously) RME Fireface UCX. yeah it's 10 years old now and yeah I paid all I had left on it, but it's still being supported and I've always longed for the stability+low latency that RME interfaces are famed for.

so far it's been running great, but it gets a bit hot... Googled a bit and apparently it's a normal occurence with (older?) Firefaces. Not sure how worried I should be.

put up my other interfaces for sale but so far nobody's biting...

Frankie99 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:58 pm
Dudley wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:35 am
Frankie99 wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 3:39 pm J mascis Big muff arrived yesterday. I had a little time to fuck with it, and it’s a huge improvement over the others I’ve had in the past - a lot less mushy and much more articulate on chords. So far, I’m a big fan. I’ll post a couple of pedal chain configs and my thoughts.
Keen for more info! In terms of the reduced mushiness, what do you reckon achieves that?
So far, I’ve been using it as mascis describes in the promo video - distortion and volume dimed, then fucking with the tone knob to achieve the results you’re after. It just sounds much clearer than my other one.
Add me to the list of realizing that the Ram's Head/Mascis circuit works for me better than any other Muff variant I've tried. Haven't gotten to play it at full volume at practice yet, but so far I'm really digging it. I've actually got the tone turned almost all the way down, which I've found too wooly/dark on every other Muff, but sounds just right on this one w/ the distortion dimed.

I got the normal EHX Ram's Head and not the Mascis version, which are apparently exactly the same except for the graphics. The Kit Rae Muff site has a bunch of info about how they engineered this reissue:

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_hi ... eadReissue
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Nate Dort wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:55 am Ampeg RB-210 combo

40 lbs, sounds like an Ampeg, plenty of volume. I do double-duty on keys (wurli, rhodes, synth bass) and bass in my band and it handles both very well.
Only minor gripe: the aux input is post DI output, so I can't use it as in an input for my keyboard and have a single DI feed to the FOH mixer. I have to use an external active summing box to get both instruments in the main input jack, but then the keys are running through the tone-stack, which isn't ideal.
Can’t remember if I mentioned it on here, but I recently bought the RB-115. It delivers, and it’s impossibly light (34 lbs). In most cases, it gets the job done on its own, but I add another 1x15 when I need more. 200 watts. Loving the grit knob.

tallchris wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 11:44 am Add me to the list of realizing that the Ram's Head/Mascis circuit works for me better than any other Muff variant I've tried. Haven't gotten to play it at full volume at practice yet, but so far I'm really digging it. I've actually got the tone turned almost all the way down, which I've found too wooly/dark on every other Muff, but sounds just right on this one w/ the distortion dimed.
Me too. Really loving this Garbage Face jr. The tone knob on this is useful for the majority of the sweep. Gets a bit much on the treble side, but might be useful there with really dark pickups. I've settled on keeping the tone knob a little more to the bass side of noon, gain backed off a little from max just to the point it starts to be noticeable, and volume a little over unity. I like them maxed, but I dial them down to make the feedback a little more controllable so I don't have to constantly play to avoid it.

Ram's Head circuit for the win.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/