Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

Dave N. wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:20 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:55 am Ampeg RB-210 combo

40 lbs, sounds like an Ampeg, plenty of volume. I do double-duty on keys (wurli, rhodes, synth bass) and bass in my band and it handles both very well.
Only minor gripe: the aux input is post DI output, so I can't use it as in an input for my keyboard and have a single DI feed to the FOH mixer. I have to use an external active summing box to get both instruments in the main input jack, but then the keys are running through the tone-stack, which isn't ideal.
Can’t remember if I mentioned it on here, but I recently bought the RB-115. It delivers, and it’s impossibly light (34 lbs). In most cases, it gets the job done on its own, but I add another 1x15 when I need more. 200 watts. Loving the grit knob.
I have a RB-115 here also that I just fixed and it seems to hold its own. Quite a bit darker overall than the 210. Kinda glad they just got rid of the horn on the RB-115 (as opposed to the BA-115v2), because everybody always just switched those off anyway. Might as well save the weight and expense.

Yes. the SGT circuit is actually usable! I didn't really like the scrambler circuit on the BA-115v2, but this one is pretty good.

Got a discount on an M1 Macbook Air after hemming and hawing over it for two years. I like it. Feels good to be back on Mac OS. I Fing hate Apple as a company, but this is a nice computer. Keyboard feels good. More power than I need. I got a lot tuned in from free apps, etc. Still need an external SSD as this thing isn't packing a lot of storage. Still need to transfer legacy files, etc. Been putting that off.

I had wanted one of those Mac Mini deals, but I just don't have the room for a desktop set up right now.

Taking recommendations for good mac programs, especially free or affordable. I'm still not happy with the free word processors out there. Doing the google thing right now but there are all sorts of little rough edges that irritate me.

Nate Dort wrote: Fri Sep 09, 2022 1:54 pm
Dave N. wrote: Thu Sep 08, 2022 3:20 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:55 am Ampeg RB-210 combo

40 lbs, sounds like an Ampeg, plenty of volume. I do double-duty on keys (wurli, rhodes, synth bass) and bass in my band and it handles both very well.
Only minor gripe: the aux input is post DI output, so I can't use it as in an input for my keyboard and have a single DI feed to the FOH mixer. I have to use an external active summing box to get both instruments in the main input jack, but then the keys are running through the tone-stack, which isn't ideal.
Can’t remember if I mentioned it on here, but I recently bought the RB-115. It delivers, and it’s impossibly light (34 lbs). In most cases, it gets the job done on its own, but I add another 1x15 when I need more. 200 watts. Loving the grit knob.
I have a RB-115 here also that I just fixed and it seems to hold its own. Quite a bit darker overall than the 210. Kinda glad they just got rid of the horn on the RB-115 (as opposed to the BA-115v2), because everybody always just switched those off anyway. Might as well save the weight and expense.

Yes. the SGT circuit is actually usable! I didn't really like the scrambler circuit on the BA-115v2, but this one is pretty good.
This is cool to hear. I did the original design of the SGT circuit. It had slight tweaks aftereward by some EEs for noise reduction and to deal with the different sound of the FETs that had to be used at the manufacturing plant, but the core of it was my version of a FET-based, ampeg amp-in-box.

The Aux in is more for players who want to jam with music. Or yeah, maybe a player want a piano stage volume, but the FOH would want separate DI for bass and piano. I can see the benefit to both use cases, but the product owners just chose the one you didn't like ;)

VaticanShotglass wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:45 am Taking recommendations for good mac programs, especially free or affordable. I'm still not happy with the free word processors out there. Doing the google thing right now but there are all sorts of little rough edges that irritate me.
Homebrew is an excellent package manager that is helpful for helping yourself to the galaxy of powerful, useful command-line-interface tools and apps that can run on macOS. It helps you to install, keep updated and/or remove these apps, where that can be a bit of a learning curve if you're not au fait with the low-level conventions. Like a lot of stuff, it started on Intel Macs but now works on Apple Silicon too (there may be a few conditions; I don't have an Apple-Apple Mac yet.)

It can also take care of installing and maintaining a bunch of regular apps for you.

My happiest writing environment is a big Terminal window (actually, iTerm2) and a bunch of command-line apps but I'm not really a WYSIWYG-brained person at all. AsciiDocFX is a GUI version that can generate attractive output from a simple markup language. Closer to what Word behaves like, LibreOffice is actually not a bad experience on Mac, it just has second-rate UI design that makes it look more hacked-together than it is. Enable the 'Sidebar' UI-variant to minimise the impact of that. If all else fails Microsoft Office Home & Student is a lifetime Word/Excel/PP license for, over here, around $120.

Bespoke Synth is huge amounts of fun if you like fucking about with that sort of thing at all. ocenaudio is a tight little GUI audio editor. Calibre is my favourite e-reader.

VaticanShotglass wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:45 am Got a discount on an M1 Macbook Air after hemming and hawing over it for two years. I like it. Feels good to be back on Mac OS. I Fing hate Apple as a company, but this is a nice computer. Keyboard feels good. More power than I need. I got a lot tuned in from free apps, etc. Still need an external SSD as this thing isn't packing a lot of storage. Still need to transfer legacy files, etc. Been putting that off.

I had wanted one of those Mac Mini deals, but I just don't have the room for a desktop set up right now.

Taking recommendations for good mac programs, especially free or affordable. I'm still not happy with the free word processors out there. Doing the google thing right now but there are all sorts of little rough edges that irritate me.
Audio hijack is nice if you want to record a lecture off a website.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Owen wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:18 pm Took my Traynor YBA3 down from storage and fired it up for the first time in years.

A) Holy shit, I forgot how loud that fucking amp is, can't turn in louder than 2, sooo much headroom.

B) Holy shit, I forgot how great it sounds.
I need to have mine gone through, I've seen loads of people talk about how much they like theirs and I've always been very meh about it. Are you using it for guitar or bass?

Garth, I am convinced that no matter what you do, you will not be happy with this Traynor. I think it best to accept this is not the amp for you and consider a new home.

You are in luck, however, as rescuing people from amps they don't like is something I've been dabbling in for years. I am here for you. I will be happy to send you and combination of 2 pedals from my pedal board in exchange. Except the balls distortion.

PM me when you're ready to embrace your new freedom from this amplifier that's clearly holding you back.

THX!!!

Garth wrote: Sat Sep 17, 2022 10:57 pm
Owen wrote: Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:18 pm Took my Traynor YBA3 down from storage and fired it up for the first time in years.

A) Holy shit, I forgot how loud that fucking amp is, can't turn in louder than 2, sooo much headroom.

B) Holy shit, I forgot how great it sounds.
I need to have mine gone through, I've seen loads of people talk about how much they like theirs and I've always been very meh about it. Are you using it for guitar or bass?
The guitar player's amp was fucking up, so I got the Traynor out for him to borrow for practice. I usually use it for bass, so it's been a minute since I heard it with guitar. Fuckin slayed and held its own with the Marshall in the room. The guitarist uses a lot of pedals, the Traynor took them all very well.

I got this amp because I had seen Uzeda at The Fireside and Agostino used one to permanently damage my left ear's ability to hear well, so I knew I had to have one.
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/