Is Cereal Soup?

YES
Total votes: 7 (28%)
NO
Total votes: 18 (72%)
Total votes: 25

Is Cereal a Soup?

Note: Specifically referring to breakfast cereal in the US (and not the botanical designation of grains). Some sort of grain-based product. Has milk of some kind poured over it. Usually served in a bowl...but is it technically a soup? Please present your impassioned arguments for or against.

Re: Is Cereal a Soup?

zircona1 wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 8:19 am No. Milk =/= broth
there are plenty of milk based soups throughout the word, so this is an invalid argument.

Considering I generally like neither of these "liquid + stuff in a bowl" food stuffs, I would say yes Cereal=Soup.

Both = Crap
Anthony Flack wrote: Thu Sep 19, 2024 8:05 pm kiss Joe Manchin's coal mine

I appreciate the idea. :-)

I'm afraid, though, that calling breakfast cereal "soup" opens up a can of worms. At that point, any edible combination of a solid in a liquid could then be called "soup". Oatmeal, grits, chili, orange juice, unfiltered beer...

Certainly has its comedic value, though.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Not sure this helps but here's the wikipedia definition of a soup

"Soup is a primarily liquid food, generally served warm or hot, that is made by combining ingredients of meat or vegetables with stock, milk, or water. "

Kinda sounds like cereal is soup.

Cereal becomes unappetizing when milk turns the least bit tepid whereas soup retains its integrity throughout. I've never dumped unused soup both down the drain. Soups also don't carry promotional toys in their packaging or have fun puzzles to solve on the can.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

rsmurphy wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 9:15 am Cereal becomes unappetizing when milk turns the least bit tepid whereas soup retains its integrity throughout. I've never dumped unused soup both down the drain.
Oh c'mon the sweet food coloring runoff is one of the best parts.

(I haven't eaten cereal, especially sugary cereal, in at least 15 years)
Music