Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

losthighway wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2023 8:49 pm How quick to feedback are those things when distorted/overdriven?
The top can ring in sympathetic vibration sometimes but its closer to a solid body than a full hollow thing. But the character of the low end and midrange is different from a solid body too. So it hasn’t been an issue with my guitar. Great for a Rolling Stones in PAF swirl mode sort of sound

TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:20 pm
Garth wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:08 am
Garth wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 10:04 pm MD421 3rd party mic clip replacement

Well I mean it's fine. It doesn't feel super solid or anything and very obviously this is something out of a 3d printer.

But the price is completely reasonable and it works. I did not expect it to grip well w/out some sort of rubber or something grippy in there but I've left it pointing straight face down at a pillow for an entire day and it hasn't budged so, yeah, seems to be fine. I could put a small piece of gaffer tape on there if I really wanted to be double certain.

And also, it's black, not the blue shown in the default photo.
Update: over the upgrade window while the forum was down, I left the mic in the clip facing straight down for this past entire week. It's still holding. Recommended, especially for the price.
awesome. I cracked open the casing on mine because of that stupid original clip.
The threading on mine looks a little chewed up and doesn’t fit on any of my stands. No bueno

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 11:27 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 3:20 pm
Garth wrote: Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:08 am

Update: over the upgrade window while the forum was down, I left the mic in the clip facing straight down for this past entire week. It's still holding. Recommended, especially for the price.
awesome. I cracked open the casing on mine because of that stupid original clip.
The threading on mine looks a little chewed up and doesn’t fit on any of my stands. No bueno
eeeeesh - have you contacted the seller/maker? This is a little dicey innit since the seller could blame you for cross-threading it.

That's def the weakest part of the design. Even the cheapest Shure clips are metal threads in plastic housing. You should be able to swap that part w/ the threaded portion of another mic clip pretty easily though, possibly w/ the original since that's not usually where the originals fail out.

Hey, I've been doing well as of late, got my first new Strat recently and thought I'd duck in here for a sec and give a shout out to the pickups I had installed . . .

Van Zandt True Vintage pickups sound great. Kinda pricey, but worth it if you're mostly gonna stick with one Strat, and use it as your main guit. Several years back, I had a set of Van Zandt Vintage Plus pups installed on the Strat Plus I got in high school (which, incidentally, I just put a new neck on). While the Vintage Plus are nothing to sniff at, after A-B'ing the two different types (on guitars that both have maple necks), I think the True Vintage--lower output--are the way to go. Others might disagree, I haven't tried all of them, nor have I compared different brands and so on, but these are nice.

Haven't got the time/wherewithal to get caught up in many threads now, despite still dicking around everyday, but I think an interesting thread idea, for either Tech Room or Crap/Not Crap, would be "high-output vs. low-output pickups." The one Danelectro of mine also has lower output pickups (of the lipstick sort, natch) and, adjusting for lower gain, I think the sound is underrated. One's rig and preferred "sound" and style(s) of music would have to be taken into account though.

Oh-kay!!
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm High output are great for metal.
This is the classic knowledge but is it necessarily true? Keep in mind this comes from the 1970's and your K.K. Downing's and Michael Schenker's of the world are looking to get more distortion and sustain out of their Marshall 1959s. Pedals are available but much less so, and regular old boosts are even less available. The cascaded gain stage of your Marshall 2203 also isnt really in production. Hotter pickups can do the job for you and thus enter the Dimarzio Super Distortion and the like. But in the modern day of master volumes, cascaded gain stages, and unlimited dirt boxes I dont think high output pickups are that important to a heavy sound. That doesnt mean that metal folks dont BELIEVE that they are....they just might be stuck in the past.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

High vs Low is an over simplification too. There are lots of flavors in between. Personally I think vintage spec single coils can sound too brash in Fender bridges. Even stepping up to something like a SD Quarter Pounder (hotter but hardly 'metal' hot) can make a big difference. It's all about finding the right balance for what you do, where you sit in the mix, what volume you play at, etc.
Music

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 9:17 am
MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 7:55 pm High output are great for metal.
This is the classic knowledge but is it necessarily true?
You're right, I just wanted to have an example of something high output pickups are good for. I don't like them for anything besides metal, and even for that I prefer something like a Duncan Full Shred, which is medium output.
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com