Re: Integrating Digital Media with the HiFi?

losthighway wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 11:30 am
lotharsandwich wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 10:50 pm A better (and much more expensive) solution is something like this https://www.crutchfield.com/p_813NODEBK ... Black.html which allows you files to be store on hard drives on your home network or plugged directly into the streamer (that's what these things are called, generally).
I wonder how that (which looks better) compares to something less than half the price like this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-QksQmyNo1 ... ivEALw_wcB
It's a question of features (and which ones you need or want). The Node can do wired or wireless internet connections, index your music on a network drive or attached storage, streaming services, and uses BluOS , its own well-designed and powerful operating system (imo). It's essentially a music-specific computer with no screen (you use your phone).

The B-Fi only receives wireless signals from your phone or computer and plays whatever you've got happening on that device through your stereo (though I think you can add streaming services directly via its app). It's a much simpler device, which might be right for your needs. I think it kind of depends on whether digital /steaming is your primary music source or just something to compliment what you're already doing with LPs, CDs, etc.

We have a Node because I don't have a working turntable and just rip new cds to our network drive or buy the files from Bandcamp.

Re: Integrating Digital Media with the HiFi?

I use Chromecast Audio. They're getting harder to get ahold of since they were discontinued, but they have an analog mini and optical (mini) out. I have it hooked to a receiver and just stream to it from my phone.

For locally stored music files, I use VLC. In the Playback menu, change renderer to the chromecast and hit play. Phones on the network can still play/pause and skip, but I typically queue it up from my laptop (where the files are) I suppose I could put things on a network drive and maybe point the mobile VLC app to it and do it all there, but that sounds like work.

It's not vinyl, but it's better than bluetooth.