Re: Guitar Tech-ing for Major Bands

I've spent the last year teching for three bands. Anyone who spends as much time in the PRF Tech room as you do could probably do the job blindfolded, but I also understand the anxiety of walking into a situation like this. Y'know, if. you fuck up, it's just you, the Talent, and 10k of your closest friends.

I watched both strap pins give way on a guitar during Rock Lobster, in front of 9000 people. That was a fun time.

Here's what I know after my one year:
1. Get a Pelican case and put the tools you use all the time in it. I know you're supposed to be using the other tech's tools, but man, why add the extra stress? Use your tools. No one is going to argue with you if you say "Hey, I'm gonna bring my tool kit and I'm going to check it for the flight." Good techs are hard to come by and chances are this won't be your last gig. If you don't want to buy a new Pelican case, get one used off of eBay or get the imitation from Harbor Freight.

2. Make a checklist. Actually, make two: one is for "before soundcheck" and one is for "before the gig." Put EVERYTHING on the checklist. "Before the soundcheck" list should have pedal order, amp settings, any weird tunings on it. If you're supposed to have fresh strings for every show, put that on there. "Before the gig" list should have everything that needs to be in place for the show on it: IEMs, towels, water, setlists, etc. Put EVERYTHING on the lists that you can think of. In the heat of the moment, I forget things. IMPORTANT things. A checklist has saved my ass more than once. Make copies for every show you work so you can strike through things as they're completed.

3. You should get a setlist as far in advance as possible. Tape this setlist to your table/workstation. Next to each song, put the guitar that's going to be used. Make sure you can see this in the dark.

4. Get a maglight with the little belt pouch. You're going to use your flashlight more than any other tool.

5. Get a clipboard. Get one of the ones that opens up and has storage inside it. You're going to put all of your receipts in there. You're going to put your checklists on the outside of the clipboard. Have a legal pad on the clipboard for when you need to make lists on the fly.

6. Get a box of black sharpies. Get a handful of regular pens. You're going to need them all the time.

7. Put AA batteries for your maglight in your toolbox. LED bulbs don't go dim when they start to die, they flicker. You'll know your maglight is dead right when you need it the most, and you will have no warning.

8. If you have IEMs, let the monitor tech know, and she'll probably give you a wireless belt pack. If you don't have IEMs, you may want to grab some headphones with some sound dampening qualities. All of the communication that happened between techs and engineers happened over IEMs on two of the tours I worked this year. I use my GK Ultraphones on the B-52s tour (because my mix for the drums was wired, not wireless, and I had to take them off to go put the Glockenspiel out for "Give Me Back My Man") and I used my Westone IEMs for Culture Club. Best price/quality on sound isolating earbuds are the Shure SE215s, I think!

9. Wear shoes you can walk in. I walked an average of seven miles a day on tour.

10. Speaking of walking, this shit will save your life: https://www.goldbond.com/en-us/products ... on-defense

11. Make your deal re: pay, get on the bus and don't talk about it. I made the mistake of discussing pay ONCE and it blew up. Everyone is getting different money, that's the nature of the thing. You'd think that solidarity would make for stronger bargaining positions for everyone, but mutiny gets everyone fired. I have heard the stories.

Remember that it's not the Emergency Room. No one is going to die if you make a mistake.

Now would be a good time to update your passport if you haven't already. Once you establish that you can do the job, work comes flying at you. I set out to do one five work tour last year and ended up working for the next ten months.

Good luck. Have fun.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

This kicks ass. Good job!

Though I haven't ridden on the bus I have spent the last twenty years being everything-tech for my bands, clubs, and a 650-seat auditorium, and to DFTR's list I would add only:

A head lamp. Don't look anywhere near the stage with it on, during the show or when talent is about. Just use it for everything you have to do in the dark. It points right at your work, and you don't end up holding the flashlight your disgusting hands keep grabbing every 45 seconds between your teeth. Get a reasonably good one, Black Diamond or Petzl. Cheap ones are garbage.

I'll also put in a plug for the Streamlight Microstream USB flashlight as an alternative to the tried-and-true Maglite. Tailcap switch w/ momentary and latching operation so one-handed operation, two brightness levels (50 and 250 lumen; the black model defaults to low and you double-tap to go to high), no stupid strobe modes, strong clip that doesn't deform (stays in my back pocket all the time) and works in both directions (this is useful sometimes) and keeps it from rolling away, recharges by micro-usb in four hours. $30. Charge it when you charge things. Charge it from your laptop or one of those power banks. They also make a slightly larger version that's 500 lumens. But you're not spotting deer here.

Shure SE215s are great.

Have fun!
formerly FM evanrowe

Maple Stave

dontfeartheringo wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 12:23 pm I've spent the last year teching for three bands. Anyone who spends as much time in the PRF Tech room as you do could probably do the job blindfolded, but I also understand the anxiety of walking into a situation like this. Y'know, if. you fuck up, it's just you, the Talent, and 10k of your closest friends.

I watched both strap pins give way on a guitar during Rock Lobster, in front of 9000 people. That was a fun time.

Here's what I know after my one year:
1. Get a Pelican case and put the tools you use all the time in it. I know you're supposed to be using the other tech's tools, but man, why add the extra stress? Use your tools. No one is going to argue with you if you say "Hey, I'm gonna bring my tool kit and I'm going to check it for the flight." Good techs are hard to come by and chances are this won't be your last gig. If you don't want to buy a new Pelican case, get one used off of eBay or get the imitation from Harbor Freight.

2. Make a checklist. Actually, make two: one is for "before soundcheck" and one is for "before the gig." Put EVERYTHING on the checklist. "Before the soundcheck" list should have pedal order, amp settings, any weird tunings on it. If you're supposed to have fresh strings for every show, put that on there. "Before the gig" list should have everything that needs to be in place for the show on it: IEMs, towels, water, setlists, etc. Put EVERYTHING on the lists that you can think of. In the heat of the moment, I forget things. IMPORTANT things. A checklist has saved my ass more than once. Make copies for every show you work so you can strike through things as they're completed.

3. You should get a setlist as far in advance as possible. Tape this setlist to your table/workstation. Next to each song, put the guitar that's going to be used. Make sure you can see this in the dark.

4. Get a maglight with the little belt pouch. You're going to use your flashlight more than any other tool.

5. Get a clipboard. Get one of the ones that opens up and has storage inside it. You're going to put all of your receipts in there. You're going to put your checklists on the outside of the clipboard. Have a legal pad on the clipboard for when you need to make lists on the fly.

6. Get a box of black sharpies. Get a handful of regular pens. You're going to need them all the time.

7. Put AA batteries for your maglight in your toolbox. LED bulbs don't go dim when they start to die, they flicker. You'll know your maglight is dead right when you need it the most, and you will have no warning.

8. If you have IEMs, let the monitor tech know, and she'll probably give you a wireless belt pack. If you don't have IEMs, you may want to grab some headphones with some sound dampening qualities. All of the communication that happened between techs and engineers happened over IEMs on two of the tours I worked this year. I use my GK Ultraphones on the B-52s tour (because my mix for the drums was wired, not wireless, and I had to take them off to go put the Glockenspiel out for "Give Me Back My Man") and I used my Westone IEMs for Culture Club. Best price/quality on sound isolating earbuds are the Shure SE215s, I think!

9. Wear shoes you can walk in. I walked an average of seven miles a day on tour.

10. Speaking of walking, this shit will save your life: https://www.goldbond.com/en-us/products ... on-defense

11. Make your deal re: pay, get on the bus and don't talk about it. I made the mistake of discussing pay ONCE and it blew up. Everyone is getting different money, that's the nature of the thing. You'd think that solidarity would make for stronger bargaining positions for everyone, but mutiny gets everyone fired. I have heard the stories.

Remember that it's not the Emergency Room. No one is going to die if you make a mistake.

Now would be a good time to update your passport if you haven't already. Once you establish that you can do the job, work comes flying at you. I set out to do one five work tour last year and ended up working for the next ten months.

Good luck. Have fun.
All great advice. Most of this is in place as part of my normal work flow, and thankfully I have a bit of insight into this outfit's tour practices. The other tech promised to walk me through the basics.

You are not kidding about the work. I've already had to turn down 3 offers for weeks to months with other bands in the US and Canada. Would be harder to say no to overseas opportunities.

c jury wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:46 pm All great advice. Most of this is in place as part of my normal work flow, and thankfully I have a bit of insight into this outfit's tour practices. The other tech promised to walk me through the basics.

You are not kidding about the work. I've already had to turn down 3 offers for weeks to months with other bands in the US and Canada. Would be harder to say no to overseas opportunities.
If they're opportunities for Guitar Tech, the guys from the B-52s tour just went from being booked solid for a year to "Not much on the horizon," so I can pass their names to you if you'd be comfortable passing them on to whoever is asking. Let me know and I'll DM you.

I'm off the road for now for reasons that I might eventually reveal in the Fuck Cancer thread, but things are a little scary around here.

The only other thing I forgot to mention upthread was that it's been very useful to me to have both Uber and Lyft accounts. I use them both a lot on tour.
tbone wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2023 11:58 pm I imagine at some point as a practicality we will all start assuming that this is probably the last thing we gotta mail to some asshole.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 pm
c jury wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 10:46 pm All great advice. Most of this is in place as part of my normal work flow, and thankfully I have a bit of insight into this outfit's tour practices. The other tech promised to walk me through the basics.

If they're opportunities for Guitar Tech, the guys from the B-52s tour just went from being booked solid for a year to "Not much on the horizon," so I can pass their names to you if you'd be comfortable passing them on to whoever is asking. Let me know and I'll DM you.

I'm off the road for now for reasons that I might eventually reveal in the Fuck Cancer thread, but things are a little scary around here.

The only other thing I forgot to mention upthread was that it's been very useful to me to have both Uber and Lyft accounts. I use them both a lot on tour.
Understand the scary. That is a fear that you can only parse when you've been in that situation. Hoping for the best.

dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu Jan 26, 2023 12:02 pm

I understand the scary parts all too well. I'm sorry you are having to go through this and if you ever need to talk, shoot me a PM. It really helped me early on, working through my spouse's diagnosis when I could talk to someone who's further into it.