Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:49 am I'm not doubting that these are extremely durable drum heads - but they sound like the aural equivalent of wearing two condoms at the same time.
Maybe to you, but literally everyone I know who has used them agrees that the difference is small and not described as "worse" but "slightly different." I could see this more w/ the UV2 since it is actually thicker but not hearing this - especially not to the degree of this hyperbolic statement.

Even going into it, you were casting these heads a lot of side-eye. Skepticism is fair and healthy IMO so sure, fine....but is it possible that this slight difference is exacerbated to the extreme in your conclusion by confirmation bias? If someone has gone in w/ expectations that a thing is going to suck, it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that it will...or are you just trolling/shitposting at this point?

Garth wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:28 pm
four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 9:49 am I'm not doubting that these are extremely durable drum heads - but they sound like the aural equivalent of wearing two condoms at the same time.
...or are you just trolling/shitposting at this point?
Nah, but I do think my comment was pretty amusing. What can I say? I had one, tried to like it, and didn't.

Back on track - the KEELEY PARALLAX SPATIAL GENERATOR:

Dual reverb/delay thingy. On their own, the delay and reverb don't sound that special. The EHX Memory Man reissue smokes the delay portion, and there's no shortage of soft focus/shoegazey reverbs out there now.

However, together they make a glorious noise that FM Jon San Paolo referred to as "the devil's dick" last night - which is a high enough recommendation for me!
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

What's funny is I was talking with a neighbor, another drummer, months ago and he used the exact same "like 2 condoms" metaphor regarding Evans coated heads. I've experienced other flaws with Evans stuff (scuffs and dimples on brand new heads) but never thought much about the sound/feel? difference. The coating is more durable than Remo so inevitably there must be some sound difference. But I think this is where I get off the Tone Express..

(and yes, the UV heads are a different beast altogether)
Music

penningtron wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 8:00 am What's funny is I was talking with a neighbor, another drummer, months ago and he used the exact same "like 2 condoms" metaphor regarding Evans coated heads. I've experienced other flaws with Evans stuff (scuffs and dimples on brand new heads) but never thought much about the sound/feel? difference. The coating is more durable than Remo so inevitably there must be some sound difference. But I think this is where I get off the Tone Express..

(and yes, the UV heads are a different beast altogether)
I wonder if a lot of this comes down to TUNING, playing, and drum.

I haven't tried the UV1. But a G1 compared to an Ambassador on Ludwig Acrolite, Supraphonic, and Vistalite snare drums is tonally different when tuned to the same tension (90) using a Drum Dial. The G1 just sounds muted in comparison. It might sound less different when not tuned high. Caveat, I'm not a great drummer and I'm not a hard hitter. The Evans coating is way more durable though. By a lot. I've had the same G2 coated heads on the tops of my toms for 3 years and you can barely tell they aren't new. Again, I'm not a great drummer, and 90% of my playing is snare, kick, hats.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Kniferide wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am I've been super into the Evans Calftone Head for our kick and was wondering if they are a good replacement for regular coated heads on snare/toms.
For light to medium hitters, definitely. I don't think of them as thuddy just.. not crisp and modern sounding. They do get a little weird when/if the coating starts peeling off. (which only happened to me when I removed the kick drum slam pad).
Music

penningtron wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:18 am
Kniferide wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:56 am I've been super into the Evans Calftone Head for our kick and was wondering if they are a good replacement for regular coated heads on snare/toms.
For light to medium hitters, definitely. I don't think of them as thuddy just.. not crisp and modern sounding. They do get a little weird when/if the coating starts peeling off. (which only happened to me when I removed the kick drum slam pad).
Yeah, thuddy isn't really what I mean I guess. The kick head doesnt have a lot of Click to it and I really like that. The attack is more rounded and mid punchy than a crack sound. I'm not into kicks that go crack so much. They seem like thy might be cool on toms, but I'm no drummer and have been a little hesitant about spending the money just to experiment for my own benefit. Might go for it though if my taxes work out.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html