Steely Dan

Crap
Total votes: 27 (44%)
Not Crap
Total votes: 35 (56%)
Total votes: 62

Re: Band: Steely Dan

Somehow I'd managed to never hear one of their songs (not like thought I hadn't heard one and then played a song and was like "oh yeah, this is that thing I always hear in the supermarket", but actually hadn't ever heard one somehow). I just tried a couple and this stuff is everything I hated about the 80s when I was growing up in the 90s. Like, you see cop films from that era and there's always a bit halfway through where there's a night shot of the city and an overbearing saxophone cries out then it cuts to the cop and the woman he's protecting suddenly, inexplicably having sex. More saxophone.

Was that all inspired by this band? Even more reason to hate them.

Holy fuck.
I'm listening and all I can picture is striped grey suits, restaurants that look like brutalist modern art galleries and square haircuts.
More outrageous saxophone.

andyman wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 1:43 pm Wait, it's not all saxophone music? Like, I looked up the best of and there's stuff that sounds like generic 70s light radio rock? Or like cocktail lounge music?
The 70s output is all the things I hate about 70s music. I won’t deny that they are skilled musicians, and their talent lies in making music that I find grating and awful.
f.k.a. jimmy two hands

Am less of a vinyl junky than probably a number of people here, but if you want to hear an album with stellar fucking MIDS, get the Analogue Productions UHQR of Can't Buy A Thrill. It's a double 12", at 45rpm, two or three songs per side. Sounds tight!

Top 5 album of theirs would be...

1. Aja
2. Can't Buy A Thrill
3. Katy Lied
4. Pretzel Logic
5. Gaucho

...with the last three only a hair apart from each other.

Anybody voting Not Crap in this thread who hasn't picked up Sunken Condos, needs to do so. Some of his best stuff from the last twenty or so years is on there.

This song about a fallen bowler is . . . the stuff:

Can honestly say that of all the art/artists I've done a 180 on, coming around to this music has probably provided more enjoyment than anything else I can think of. Usually, when my mind is changed, it's the other way around ("I used to like this?"), but this is an instance in which I'm glad to have seen the error of my ways, and will admit I was wrong.

Anyway, the album of theirs I've liked the least is Two Against Nature. Can almost never get through it. Of the two reunion records, I think Everything Must Go is the better effort, it's an underrated album, though the consensus seems to be the other way around.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

zorg wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:14 am
Mickey242 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:20 pm Named after a dildo in Naked Lunch.
I think I knew that before I even knew their music. Shame the 10cc story is disproven.
Elaborate please. 10cc? Is that how much morphine you need to fix in order to like their music?
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

Mickey242 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:48 pm
zorg wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:14 am
Mickey242 wrote: Sat Feb 11, 2023 7:20 pm Named after a dildo in Naked Lunch.
I think I knew that before I even knew their music. Shame the 10cc story is disproven.
Elaborate please. 10cc? Is that how much morphine you need to fix in order to like their music?
10cc's name is derived from the metric total of semen ejaculated by the average male
The Spinal Tap-esque joke being that the average was 9cc and they had 10. In reality, I guess the average is significantly less anyways. Apparently this rumor followed them from the get-go in the 70s.