Re: Politics

penningtron wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:22 am
biscuitdough wrote:
penningtron wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:30 am Wow will Chicago have a decent mayor for once. (I don't know a ton about Vallas admittedly)
I got the impression he’s like Philly’s Alan Domb, would have been a Republican 20 years ago.
ugh yes, a little more research and he seems like a cop fucker. No thanks.
Yeah, his popularity strikes me as being a knee-jerk reaction amongst voters. I don't think he's a *total* slimeball, but his stated approach on how he plans to handle the police seems regressive to me.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

There's this odd narrative out there being pushed in reactionary right-wing media that Lightfoot lost because she tacked left and lost the moderates, and this is her comeuppance. makes a good talking point for them I guess but it's total bullshit. Like her or not, she did not do the political work to win and it showed. She was probably the most conservative candidate besides Vallas. (Edit-forgot about Willie Wilson, who actually has a not-insignificant bloc that will turn out).

Vallas allied early with the FOP, which is about as toxic of an organization as there is in Chicago. So, they brought him votes and he'll be beholden to them. So, no.

Johnson does not have a broad citywide coalition. Vallas won more parts of the city than Johnson. Main thing now is whether Johnson can build that in five weeks, which is highly dependent on how his fellow candidates feel about him and whether their organizations will get put to work.
Last edited by joelb on Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joelb wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:33 pm There's this odd narrative out there being pushed in reactionary right-wing media that Lightfoot lost because she tacked left and lost the moderates, and this is her comeuppance. makes a good talking point for them I guess but it's total bullshit.
Lightfoot blaming racism and sexism for her loss was pathetic, but the right wing probably wants its audience to see her and assume she's Antifa-aligned. Which of course actually is racist.
Music

tommy wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:31 am Yep. I voted Johnson and am still hoping for that outcome.
This guy gets it.

Any candidate that has the full support of the FOP can hit the bricks. Vallas is more than worrisome.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Even though she relied a lot of Federal aid, Lightfoot deserves credit for working to repair the city’s dire financial condition. The next mayor will inherit a more fiscally sound (though still not great) office than either Lightfoot or Rahm inherited.

But other than that, yeesh.

Usually, alienation of one constituency happens to the benefit of another. But the police union hated Lightfoot, the CTU hated Lightfoot, and the business community didn’t particularly love her either.

jfv wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:22 am Trump indicted. It actually happened.

An indictment from the state of Georgia would be more noteworthy.
That might be forthcoming.

I'm curious/nervous to see what kind of mayhem will ensue. Some of the pundits have speculated this could be a boost for him. I'm skeptical. He might be too busy in jail to run, or in the likelier outcome of a wrist slap or worse he wriggles out, I don't think independents want anything to do with his shit show anymore.

jfv wrote: Fri Mar 31, 2023 10:22 am Trump indicted. It actually happened.

An indictment from the state of Georgia would be more noteworthy.
As in, "Prevent the fucker from running for office ever again with a conviction," noteworthy.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."