Re: A Few New Projects

c jury wrote: now I need to figure out how to get 300 pounds of cast iron onto a benchtop.
Could you rent an engine hoist maybe? Or just invite your bandmates/couple others over for pizza and beer?

Worst case would be to see if there's any day laborers hanging out at Home Depot that could use a quick easy buck.

Garth wrote:
c jury wrote: now I need to figure out how to get 300 pounds of cast iron onto a benchtop.
Could you rent an engine hoist maybe? Or just invite your bandmates/couple others over for pizza and beer?

Worst case would be to see if there's any day laborers hanging out at Home Depot that could use a quick easy buck.
Yes- there isn't a good lift point for an engine hoist, but those ATV lifts would do the trick- but those top out around 20-22". Barring any other solution, my band mates will come over on Sunday before practice and do a team lift. I'm hoping to use a few bricks and a floor jack to get it up 6-8 inches beforehand to make life easier. There is a HD just up the road, so if I get antsy I'm always happy to spread around some cash.

After consulting with a couple branding experts, how do we all feel about "Century Guitars"?

c jury wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:27 pm After consulting with a couple branding experts, how do we all feel about "Century Guitars"?
Kinda makes me think of an old sedan. "Jury" has such an authoritative ring to it, but using your own name might feel odd.

I always liked when names came from abreviating a short generic phrase like "Ford Motor Company" becoming "FOMOCO" or whatever "NAMCO" was short for.

You could easily acid etch something in the simpler style of 30s to 60s logos like you'd often find on cool old metal tag branding.

Not what I'm thinking but the "MONA" part of this image or any individual line of it is cool.

VaticanShotglass wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 1:39 pm
c jury wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:27 pm After consulting with a couple branding experts, how do we all feel about "Century Guitars"?
I always liked when names came from abreviating a short generic phrase like "Ford Motor Company" becoming "FOMOCO" or whatever "NAMCO" was short for.

You could easily acid etch something in the simpler style of 30s to 60s logos like you'd often find on cool old metal tag branding.
Are you spying on my marketing department?

Well, thanks to the strong young dudes who work w/ me at the guitar shop, the mill is now on the bench. It uses an MT3-ER20 collet system, and only came with metric collets. A couple sizes are close enough that I was able to put a piece in vice and spin it up. Feels like a Cadilac compared to the Geo Metro of the little mill.

Good weekend. #8 BJ's body came out pretty nice, and I got the prototype bass VI sprayed flat black.
About 90% done with shaping the neck. Goal for this week is to get the neck finalized, route for the pickup and get the fretboard attached.
And got a long way on the bass VI- the facing operation on the receiver is done, headstock has another pass. Should be done with machining by the end of the week.
The new mill is really working out great. I got a set of SAE ER-20 collets to allow me to use all of my existing tooling- although it is nice to have the metric collets that came w/ it. I think working on 2 instruments at a time seems to be saving some time.