Re: How we make experimental noise

Mickey242 wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:35 pm ^ Are there any recordings of this?
This is from last year, a commissioned environmental thing for an elevator car in a NJ art gallery. This was fun as it was less song-oriented and the intent was to evoke a surreal elevator experience.

We have a 2020 release called "Workstation to Workstation", also on Bandcamp, that's more song-oriented, and sounds pretty good (recorded by Kurt Ballou, who probably didn't know what he was getting into, but did a great job).
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

uglysound wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:01 pm
This is awesome! More musical and more noisy than I expected from you talking about the project.

Is there a self-imposed purity on the signal chain?
Thank you for the kind comments.

For a while there was an assumption that we write songs around what these machines can provide in natural acoustic realm, but with sampling and “digging deeper” with contact mics and effects opens up a lot of new possibilities for texture and composition.
he/him/his

twelvepoint wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:05 am
uglysound wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 7:01 pm
This is awesome! More musical and more noisy than I expected from you talking about the project.

Is there a self-imposed purity on the signal chain?
Thank you for the kind comments.

For a while there was an assumption that we write songs around what these machines can provide in natural acoustic realm, but with sampling and “digging deeper” with contact mics and effects opens up a lot of new possibilities for texture and composition.
Yeah, this is really fucking good man. I'm not just saying that.
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."

uglysound wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 7:27 am
twelvepoint wrote: Thu Mar 09, 2023 4:05 am
In regard to your desire for "thump" maybe a resonant envelope filter with clean blend would work? Might be worth trying if someone you know has one that you can borrow. On a synth it's easy to patch a bass drum sound...just a resonant lowpass with volume and frequency controlled by a short envelope. I would think all of those building blocks are in a good envelope filter.
Oh yeah, I could make that work. I got a Behringer neutron last year so I can probably use that filter. Good call.
he/him/his

I feel stupid for not learning this 30 years ago, but using a distortion pedal as gain into a fuzz pedal = beautifully saturated noise.

Several of you are probably saying "yeah, duh" (ha ha).

In my case it's a Boss HM-2 into a DOD Carcosa fuzz. I love how this combo sounds. I assume you'd get good results from almost any distortion / fuzz combo.

I only started doing this on my new album, but better late than never right?

Anyhow, I thought I should share that here.
Quitter / Canady tape and digital out now.

I couldn’t sleep last night and kept wondering how hard it would be to program a series of small pistons (via midi), which can be set up to strike an array of custom made percussion instruments, which would be wired up with contact mics into a small mixer. In effect an electro acoustic drum machine but instead of drums it’s whatever the hell you come up with.

VaticanShotglass wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:30 am
twelvepoint wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:17 pm By pistons do you mean solenoids?
Yes.
This should be a common use case for Arduino based electromechanical stuff. You can get a Midi breakout board for an arduino that facilitates communication as a listener, using the old 5 pin DIN connector. MIDI is pretty easy to deal with as it's just serial communication, but the external board is 15 bucks well spent IMO and includes an optoisolator chip to protect your stuff.

I did this a couple years ago with a rig that plays tuned bells, kind of a MIDI carrilon. I'll see if I can find a photo. My thing used servos and not solenoids, and the servos had a dedicated power bus and the arduino was a low voltage controller. For solenoids, it's likely you'll eat some current, so likely some solution with FETs would be preferable. That should be a common use case as well.

Feel free to reach out if you want and I can sent photos or code if that helps. Again, should you go arduino, a MIDI listener situation is pretty well supported at this point, as are power transistors, so it should all be something that's not crazy to prototype, assuming, of course Arduino coding and wiring is something you'd be comfortable with.
he/him/his

twelvepoint wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 11:05 am
VaticanShotglass wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:30 am
twelvepoint wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:17 pm By pistons do you mean solenoids?
Yes.
This should be a common use case for Arduino based electromechanical stuff. You can get a Midi breakout board for an arduino that facilitates communication as a listener, using the old 5 pin DIN connector. MIDI is pretty easy to deal with as it's just serial communication, but the external board is 15 bucks well spent IMO and includes an optoisolator chip to protect your stuff.

I did this a couple years ago with a rig that plays tuned bells, kind of a MIDI carrilon. I'll see if I can find a photo. My thing used servos and not solenoids, and the servos had a dedicated power bus and the arduino was a low voltage controller. For solenoids, it's likely you'll eat some current, so likely some solution with FETs would be preferable. That should be a common use case as well.

Feel free to reach out if you want and I can sent photos or code if that helps. Again, should you go arduino, a MIDI listener situation is pretty well supported at this point, as are power transistors, so it should all be something that's not crazy to prototype, assuming, of course Arduino coding and wiring is something you'd be comfortable with.
Oh man, cool info. Still have no time for projects like this right now, but it’s good to see my ideas aren’t too off the mark. I’ve long wanted to learn some arduino coding and something like this would be a cool project for motivation. It’s on the list if I can find a new workspace.