Re: Woodworking thread?

Dudley wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:34 pm that Jazzmaster.... how is it to play? It looks phenomenal. Is it heavy?
thank you! it is fine to play and has a full, fat, even sound. neck is an allparts strat neck and the pickups are from mojo pickups UK (with metal covers and TB style reflector Plate). it weighs 4,05 kg (8.9 lbs), bridge is from halon guitar parts in greece. because plumwood is very dense and heavy i had to route chambers.
the plum tree was cut in 2014 in my mother in law's garden, then quartersawn by pros and air dried.
Last edited by sick.bird on Mon Feb 27, 2023 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sick bird, thank you - the pics rule. And I love that it's "homegrown", and you've taken your time to end up with something so awesome.

How long does air drying take?

Does it having been her tree mean your mother-in-law gets to play her favourite Sonic Youth riffs on it whenever she fancies?

Dudley wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:21 am How long does air drying take?

Does it having been her tree mean your mother-in-law gets to play her favourite Sonic Youth riffs on it whenever she fancies?
air drying takes approximately 1 year for 1/2", so i had to wait 5 years...

mother in law is 80 and loves David Garrett (don't know if anybody outside europe knows this violin player) and Elvis is on 2nd place.

Hi all. I’m looking to do some basic box and case construction. Partly it’s for sharpening some of my skills (I can build functional projects, nothing refined) and partly to fulfill something me storage needs.

Nothing heavy duty, desktop shelving unit, some box drawers for shelves, and a lightweight guitar case which will be practice to ultimately build a box to store and transport my MS-20 mini synth (an odd shape with an odd balance point. Maybe something for some guitar pedals, who knows.

Anyway, I want to use lighter weight (1/4” I’m guessing) plywood or similar materials like Masonite. I’m used to working with much heavier material for house stuff. What should I look to buy? It doesn’t need to be furniture pretty but preferably decent to work with and maybe not ass ugly.

For the instrument cases I’m thinking of using styrofoam sheets cut for lining the interior and whatever the cheap cloth they use in guitar cases. But styrofoam sucks to work with.

Any tips on material or design? Again, not road case tough, more like closet and back seat of the car tough. Anybody do this sort of stuff before? Looking to be cost effective as this is a learning project and I’ll surely make some fuckups.

I built a series of guitar tech boxes....similar to what you're trying to do.

I used 3/8" baltic birch ply for the perimeter, and 1/8" 'luan' ply for the top/bottom. you could rabbet or dado that, depending on how nice you want it to look.

Felt is inexpensive and durable as a lining material, as is the plush fur stuff you see in lots of cases. Styrofoam is a good choice if you want rigid support, open cell foam is better if you want cushion. I think the best cases use Styrofoam to create the shape and thinner layer of soft open cell foam on top, then a non-marring liner.

c jury wrote: Tue Mar 21, 2023 11:29 pm I built a series of guitar tech boxes....similar to what you're trying to do.

I used 3/8" baltic birch ply for the perimeter, and 1/8" 'luan' ply for the top/bottom. you could rabbet or dado that, depending on how nice you want it to look.

Felt is inexpensive and durable as a lining material, as is the plush fur stuff you see in lots of cases. Styrofoam is a good choice if you want rigid support, open cell foam is better if you want cushion. I think the best cases use Styrofoam to create the shape and thinner layer of soft open cell foam on top, then a non-marring liner.
Thanks! Exactly the sort of direction I was looking for.

Other than those heated needle things, any idea about styrofoam cutting? Box cutter plus straight edge?

rbt wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 11:02 am In the theme of storage/organization projects, what are the nicest or most unusual setups y'all have seen?

I'd like to be as organized as this...

...but it would be neat to store tools in the living room like this...
I wish I knew the secret. Tip #1 don’t share your work space with a slob. My god I’m going nuts.