Re: Politics

brephophagist wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 10:06 pm
penningtron wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:00 am It's not exactly a well-oiled propaganda machine these days.
I am guessing that you mean this relative to the past, within a certain scope, etc., but I have to disagree. The “sports” angle in particular is pervasive among every right wing media consumer I know.
As tragic as the scapegoating is, that they resort to it at all to me says that they can't come up with a unified political message otherwise.. they don't know what to do with Trump and DeSantis isn't the golden boy they thought, etc. Again, I don't know what will happen, just grasping on to some hope that this isn't 2015/6 all over again.
Music

joe_lmr wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 9:51 pm
losthighway wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 8:11 pm
DaveA wrote: Sat May 13, 2023 3:15 pm CNN doesn’t deserve anyone’s sympathy.
Absolutely. Being the garbage almost left equivalent of Fox's right wing garbage doesn't earn them a pass. Both websites are half diet pill advertising.

In other news Biden's immigration policy is horrible and inhumane, and yet he catches shit from the right for our "open border".
The "almost left" network that just threw Donald Trump a campaign rally disguised as a town hall?
Left like Mitt Romney.

CEO is Chris Licht, soulless ratings-chasing amoral ghoul.

CNN owned by David Zaslav who was quoted as saying " In February, Zaslav announced he was hiring TV producer Chris Licht to run CNN and then the organization promptly began messaging its plans to “push CNN back to hard news, and away from red-hot liberal opining.”" [https://www.vox.com/2022/8/26/23322761/ ... fka-column]

both friends with billionaire John Malone who is quoted in the same article
“I would like to see CNN evolve back to the kind of journalism that it started with, and actually have journalists, which would be unique and refreshing,” he said. Then he suggested a model: “Fox News, in my opinion, has followed an interesting trajectory of trying to have ‘news’ news, I mean some actual journalism, embedded in a program schedule of all opinions.”"

Know their names. They definitely want to steer us into another 2016 scenario.
"I got to tell you, if I went to a show and an opening band I never heard of lugged a Super Six on stage, I am paying attention." - Owen

Jeff Zucker, the guy who used to run CNN, just so happened to help Trump become a star on The Apprentice years ago. Same dude, years later, gave Trump endless free airtime. Remember those constant shots of the empty podium before his rallies? Sensationalism is great business.

Snowball's chance in hell, but the junkie Kennedy is speaking to me in broad terms, and he's kind a proven do-gooder. Apparently we're at a place where I'm willing to overlook his conspiracy theory rhetoric and limited support voiced by conservative voices, because I'd like to see more campaign pillars like this:

Honest Government, Reconciliation, Environment, Revitalization, Peace, and Civil Liberties

jimmy spako wrote: Wed May 17, 2023 6:34 am You mean the guy who has spent all his considerable (potential) political capital on anti-vax quackery for the past two decades or so?
The same! He's got a taste for brown, and a kid with a nut allergy, cut the man a break.

losthighway wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 7:41 am Not sure what exactly to make of Montana's TikTok ban. I suppose the ACLU is usually my north Star so I'm voting crap while needing to read more analysis.
Governor Gianforte (via Twitter): "To protect Montanans’ personal and private data from the Chinese Communist Party, I have banned TikTok in Montana."

I do know it's not just the republicans that want to ban TikTok, and I don't trust the PRoC either, but for a party that is supposed to not like government overreach, they sure do like to brag about banning a lot of stuff.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

The irony is basically that Republicans' M.O. is fascism, graft, and concentration of wealth. They should love the Chinese Communist Party.
We're headed for social anarchy when people start pissing on bookstores.