Re: PRF Members Tech Journal

Have a Neumann TLM103 that I inherited from a dude that used to do a Weed Podcast (I'm in Portland Or) and he used to think it was cool to just blow tons of smoke into the mic so it was covered in icky muck. I bought a little replacement diaphragm from Micparts.com and installed it and the mic sounds pretty good now. Sounds just like the other, NON-420 friendly TLM103 I have at work. Not a bad fix for like $130. May try to clean the OG diaphragm with alcohol or something and pop it in a random MXL body or something just to see what happens. Any tips for cleaning mic diaphragms? This one is visibly mucky with dank sticky rez.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

I follow that colepicksvintage guy on instagram and he seems like the go to for ribbon and dynamic mics. I wonder about condenser and tube stuff though - not that he couldn’t, I just don’t see him post about them as much.

Mine is an Audio Technica at4060 that I rolled the dice with their repair dept with. Unfortunately the mic is on its second trip back to them after a costly element replacement.

It has wind/sea wooshy noises that is intermittent only in that its noisy 90% of the time. Sometimes it stops for a bit, then it starts again. Doesn’t seem to matter how long I let the mic warm up or how much I pay AT to fix it!

Hopefully they can make it right. They were nice enough to send a shipping label and take the mic in on a warranty repair this time.
thecr4ne wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 5:48 pm
Bubber wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 11:17 am
llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:06 am Anybody using professionals for mic repairs these days?
Not sure if I'm misunderstanding your question, but if you're asking if ppl have recommendations for mic repair, I sent a pile of EVs in to Cole Suddarth in Nashville about a year ago and I couldn't be happier about it. First heard about him via Lil Bub LLC. Anyway, very reasonably priced and fast. His Instagram account is worth following, too: colespicksvintage
Cole was referred to me by Misha at Russian Recording for ribbon mic work as well. I haven't actually sent any mics his way, but we exchanged a few emails and he's definitely getting my business...at some point.

1955 Magnatone Troubadour, model 112:

Found this on Reverb: https://reverb.com/item/69155900-magnat ... ther-studs

Schematic:

I probably paid too much, but I've never owned or worked on a Magnatone, so I couldn't pass it up.

I knew the rust maybe pointed to water damage or mice, but boy was I in for a surprise when I opened it up.

Luckily, I didn't find any dead ones in there, but it was totally trashed.

I cleaned the cabinet with bleach and denatured alcohol (separately), and scrubbed the cloth covering (it's not really Tolex) and the baffle/grill cloth with some mild plant-based cleaner we had under the sink.

I sprayed the shit out of the circuit with denatured alcohol before I gloved-up and stripped the chassis down. Then I treated it with phosphoric acid and coated it with rust converting primer.

Drew up a wiring diagram based on my reverse engineering and the above schematic. There were a few small differences. 0.1uF Bypass cap on V1 Instrument input cathode. Extra B+ voltage dropping stage feeding most of the preamp plates.

Replaced all the components:

The transformers were still good, as was everything on the panel. Tubes were good, but somebody had dropped 12AU7s in place of the 12AX7s, so I corrected that. Original Oxford speaker had a rubbing voice coil. I dropped in a 60s Cleveland AlNiCo I had sitting around. Also replaced the disintegrating original handle.

Sounds great now. Dead quiet, breaks up very nicely. Instrument input is a little bit brighter from that extra cathode bypass cap. Tele bridge pickup sounds good in the mic input.