Re: Politics

Well, since a good chunk of the Republican party is "fake news-ing" the seriousness of a default it seems likely to happen at this rate. And why not: set up a deep recession to usher Trump back in in 2024.

Maybe 5 GOP House members will sign the Democrats petition but I'm not holding my breath..
Music

So Biden bent on some pointless fiscal conservative talking points for McCarthy to cheer about. Now the right wing senators are all pissed about how the bill came out and leftists are wary of the belt tightening added. Is this a centrist bill that will pass with bipartisan support and defectors on both sides? Is this a Rorschach that appears to be Reaganomic austerity or a blank check for the Federal government depending on the viewer?

losthighway wrote: Sun May 28, 2023 5:19 pm So Biden bent on some pointless fiscal conservative talking points for McCarthy to cheer about. Now the right wing senators are all pissed about how the bill came out and leftists are wary of the belt tightening added. Is this a centrist bill that will pass with bipartisan support and defectors on both sides? Is this a Rorschach that appears to be Reaganomic austerity or a blank check for the Federal government depending on the viewer?
Gonna wait to analyze it too much.

Despite it being called a "final deal", it seems like this could still be easily derailed as both houses still need to vote on it. And... only one representative is now needed to call for a vote to elect a new speaker, yes? The right wing could try kicking McCarthy to the curb before the budget deal passes.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Ted Cruz speaking-out about Uganda's horrifying anti-LGBTQ+ law stands in stark contrast to his support of American bills and laws that are discriminatory against his own country's LGBTQ+ community. Our laws aren't as extreme, yet, but if you think we aren't headed in that direction then let me know as soon as you get off of Cruz's dick.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

Krev wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 12:53 pm "Reaganomic austerity" has to be the biggest load of horseshit short of MAGA. That asshole raised taxes 7 of his 8 years in office.
That's always an important point when confronting Ronnie's mythology. More like austerity for social programs, tax hikes to pay for the rest.

rsmurphy wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 11:56 am Ted Cruz speaking-out about Uganda's horrifying anti-LGBTQ+ law stands in stark contrast to his support of American bills and laws that are discriminatory against his own country's LGBTQ+ community. Our laws aren't as extreme, yet, but if you think we aren't headed in that direction then let me know as soon as you get off of Cruz's dick.
Ted Cruz is the goddamn master of twitter judging things that are completely out of his control so he can keep a narrative going. He comments on the House of Reps, the Texas House, the Supreme Court, the Texas AG, the Texas Senate.....all shit that he isn't a part of, like the world needs his opinion on shit that he can't do anything about. Kinda like a propaganda machine, really - telling you what to be mad about.*

It's a way of distracting from his authoritarian goals. It's also hilarious, gross, and completely transparent.

*This Uganda tweet is an outlier. I haven't kept minute to minute tabs on his tweets, but this one is outside of his normal grievance bullshit, so I'm curious what precipitated it.

Frankie99 wrote:This Uganda tweet is an outlier. I haven't kept minute to minute tabs on his tweets, but this one is outside of his normal grievance bullshit, so I'm curious what precipitated it.
Do you mean the activity which prompted Cruz to go woke and get performative, or his own odious behavior he's attempting to bury? If the former - a bill that Ugandan President, Yoweri Museveni, recently signed into law calling for the death penalty to those accused of "aggravated homosexuality" which includes gay sex between HIV+ adults, incest, and sex with minors; it also calls for 20 years in jail for those who promote homosexuality; conversion therapy for gay offenders; and bans the teaching of gay sex ed - which I guess in their eyes would fall into the promotion of homosexuality. If the latter who knows, it's Ted Cruz.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

I mean it's an unusual topic for him to wade into - he's no friend to LGBTQ+ for sure, and barely an ally of human rights in general.

It was probably setting up another tweet to blame the current administration for their ineptitude on the matter, but still. It's a weird tweet.