Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 4:15 pm AEA N22 is a really great mic. Plugged it in about a foot away from an old 2x10 amp, checked levels, played a bit and it just immediately gave me the sound I had been looking for.

Before that I had been trouble getting guitar sounds I liked at home with any combination of my other mics I have collected over the years:

AT4033, RE20, Pro 37r, SM57, NT1, 535, D112

In the past any of that was enough to get going with a basic rock guitar sound in a band context, but I am going for something different and could never really get it happening without a bunch of messing around. Bass and baritone were much less of an issue.

The N22 is a pretty expensive ribbon mic but I feel like it was what I needed
Took about six months to realize how great this could be as a vocal mic. Last night I set it up on a whim to sing over a track with pedal steel, electric guitar swells, acoustic, and upright sounding bass. After I had recorded it I was running the N22 voice track through a bunch of eqs trying to find frequencies to cut and boost, but while the changes don’t really amount to much, it doesn’t really need anything either. I think the active circuit is doing a bunch of legwork there.

Basically the opposite from the AT4033 I had been using, which may not sound perfect to start with, but can be EQ’d every which way.

So ah . . . I sez to you, I sez to you, I sez . . . Have had a Reverend Double Agent W for a while. Always appreciated its build quality, its playability, and maybe above all, its stylishness. It's a looker, in Chronic Blue. But the pickups have felt sort of dull at times. Was too timid to swap out the stock ones until recently; built up the nerve to try a Lollar 50s Wind P-90 in the neck position, and a Railhammer Cleancut Humcutter in the bridge position. The results?

Sounds rather nice. I wouldn't want it to be my only guitar--for that I'd take a Strat probably--but it's got a lot of personality. With the bass roll-off knob and different pickup/volume level/preamp/OD/dirt settings, it can yield an interesting array of tones. I don't 100% have a handle on all of them yet, have to be a little more methodical, but I think it's pretty cool in its current configuration.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

Picked up one of the new Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XIIs today. It's replacing a Danelectro DC 12 (which was a very nice guitar, but I'm glad to be rid of it). And Lake Placid Blue is more fun than plain black, besides.

I've owned a bunch of Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Squiers and this one seems to be a cut above. Looks great, feels great. 7 pounds, 9 ounces. Neck has kind of odd grain, but the fretboard is nice and dark. Setup was great out of the box. Pickups more bark and honk than shimmer and chime. Bridge pickup especially is voiced pretty humbucker-adjacent, but not in a bad or hard-to-use way. Still twangs.

I've had an electric 12 for almost a decade now and wouldn't be without one, but at the same time, it's not a thing I can justify spending thousands on for the amount of use it sees. (I have a Squier Bass VI for the same reasons.) My taste has gotten disappointingly expensive lately, so it's refreshing to feel excited about an inexpensive guitar again. This is a very nice instrument, price notwithstanding - it's a great one for the price.

NC, no waffles.

frighteners wrote: replacing a Danelectro DC 12 (which was a very nice guitar, but I'm glad to be rid of it).
Had no idea about this Danelectro anti-gay, pro-Prop 8 donation. Fuck 'em. Glad I never bought any of their stuff (and I'd been eyeing their 12-strings)

Thanks for the review of the Squier 12 as well. Those have been tempting me. One question: are holes for the strings in the body (and therefore the holes in the bottom plate of the bridge) in a straight line, or are they staggered slightly diagonally, like on a Strat 12?
"I got to tell you, if I went to a show and an opening band I never heard of lugged a Super Six on stage, I am paying attention." - Owen

jirbling rake wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:11 am
frighteners wrote: replacing a Danelectro DC 12 (which was a very nice guitar, but I'm glad to be rid of it).
Had no idea about this Danelectro anti-gay, pro-Prop 8 donation. Fuck 'em. Glad I never bought any of their stuff (and I'd been eyeing their 12-strings)
Could anyone copy/paste this? I'm unable to view and I'm always happy to add to my ever-growing list of boycotted brands.

Garth wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:03 am
Could anyone copy/paste this? I'm unable to view and I'm always happy to add to my ever-growing list of boycotted brands.
There's a blackout protest at Reddit right now. Moderators are setting groups to private to protest Reddit's new API fees. Normally r/Guitar is wide open.

Garth wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:03 am
The owner of Danelectro (Steve Ridinger) donated to a bunch of conservative candidates (huckabee, ryan, trump) during the most recent election cycles, and put money towards Prop 8 in California (a gay marriage ban).