Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

mdc wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 9:51 am
Garth wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:03 am
jirbling rake wrote: Sun Jun 11, 2023 2:11 am

Had no idea about this Danelectro anti-gay, pro-Prop 8 donation. Fuck 'em. Glad I never bought any of their stuff (and I'd been eyeing their 12-strings)
Could anyone copy/paste this? I'm unable to view and I'm always happy to add to my ever-growing list of boycotted brands.
The owner of Danelectro (Steve Ridinger) donated to a bunch of conservative candidates (huckabee, ryan, trump) during the most recent election cycles, and put money towards Prop 8 in California (a gay marriage ban).
Yep, that's the long and short of it. Steve Ridinger of Evets Corp., which owns Danelectro (and also Snark - I seem to recall someone on PRF V1, perhaps now-FM eephus, taking understandable issue with the aesthetics of headstock tuners - more fuel for the fire!) made a public donation in support of Prop 8 - although this was ages ago, FM mdc's post above is also accurate.

Also, back to the Squier XII, the string ferrules are indeed on a gentle diagonal. Bent my brain at first but then I realized why.

I just got the Kurt Ballou Drums VOl 2 plug-in, the one recorded at EA.

I expected it to sound good, but it's really great. I've been putting it on the demos of the new project and it's just immediately very satisfying. It's a really great experience.

The only problems I have is that it's giving me too many options for the new band. Hell yeah, we'd love a drummer who can keep up with the music that we're making. I was also cool playing with a drum machine and embracing the intentional cold, repetitive, transgressive vibe a drum machine can bring to the party. However, playing with a very realistic drum backing track that is plug-in generated... it feels less good to me.

But yeah, recording humans, Kurt Ballou drums is rad. You can also use it to be the brain to your E-Kit, or use it to trigger well recorded sounds from a not-well-recorded source.

Odessa Deadbeat

RAD guitar! Built by a dude in England. Mike was truly awesome to work with through every step of the process. Feels like no other guitar I've played, and is supremely comfortable to play seated (or standing, for that matter.)

Pickups are Fletchers, which is a dude Mike/Odessa works with often. Firebird in the bridge, P-90 in the neck, like Old Black. Maybe we'll call this one "Old Yeller"? Sounds awesome, could not recommend enough. (MOS Burger sticker was an "inspired" decision on my end.)
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

benadrian wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 1:49 pm I just got the Kurt Ballou Drums VOl 2 plug-in, the one recorded at EA.

I expected it to sound good, but it's really great. I've been putting it on the demos of the new project and it's just immediately very satisfying. It's a really great experience.

The only problems I have is that it's giving me too many options for the new band. Hell yeah, we'd love a drummer who can keep up with the music that we're making. I was also cool playing with a drum machine and embracing the intentional cold, repetitive, transgressive vibe a drum machine can bring to the party. However, playing with a very realistic drum backing track that is plug-in generated... it feels less good to me.

But yeah, recording humans, Kurt Ballou drums is rad. You can also use it to be the brain to your E-Kit, or use it to trigger well recorded sounds from a not-well-recorded source.
This post was interesting from top to bottom.

frighteners wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:45 pm Picked up one of the new Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XIIs today. It's replacing a Danelectro DC 12 (which was a very nice guitar, but I'm glad to be rid of it). And Lake Placid Blue is more fun than plain black, besides.

I've owned a bunch of Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified Squiers and this one seems to be a cut above. Looks great, feels great. 7 pounds, 9 ounces. Neck has kind of odd grain, but the fretboard is nice and dark. Setup was great out of the box. Pickups more bark and honk than shimmer and chime. Bridge pickup especially is voiced pretty humbucker-adjacent, but not in a bad or hard-to-use way. Still twangs.

I've had an electric 12 for almost a decade now and wouldn't be without one, but at the same time, it's not a thing I can justify spending thousands on for the amount of use it sees. (I have a Squier Bass VI for the same reasons.) My taste has gotten disappointingly expensive lately, so it's refreshing to feel excited about an inexpensive guitar again. This is a very nice instrument, price notwithstanding - it's a great one for the price.

NC, no waffles.
Based on your review, and my guitar player buying a Bass VI, I now have one of these on the way

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2023 9:25 am What color did you get?
Went with the white - white jazzmasters look great to me

I bought my spouse one of the 40th anniversary squier jazzmasters and having only done a fret levelling it's become one of our top three favorite guitars - other than the setup everything else on it has been great, and even that wasn't terrible. It's a diamond age for Squier

The guitar industry as a whole is facing a post-pandemic hangover slump - there will likely be more very good deals coming.

Someone on the OSG forum posted this....possible other colors on the way....

Someone in the Jazzmaster XII thread discovered if you go the Fender's website and set the region to "Americas" you'll find an extra color for each of the new Paranormal models.
They are Fiesta Red, Sapphire Blue Transparent, Shell Pink, and Blue Sparkle.
That blue sparkle Esquire is hot shit.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

frighteners wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:45 pm[Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XIIs] pickups more bark and honk than shimmer and chime.
Listened to some YT clips and the sound seemed suitably Byrds-esque, at least with the single-note playing. Kinda curious though--what is the output on those current Fender Alnico Jazzmaster PUPs and if someone wanted a more chimy/glassy responsiveness, what would be a suitable replacement for them? Guessing some kind of lower wound option, but they're already single coils, right?

Probably wouldn't replace them off the bat, but it's something to think about.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.