Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

I have a (disassembled) Warmoth 12 string Strat and the 12 strings with the stereotypical Fender single coil cut and chime is kind of overkill. It’s a cool sound but be prepared to commit and work around it if necessary. I definitely see why they’d wind them hotter for more midrange.

I’m lame and would generally never put any humbuckers in any Fender (except WRHB) but I’m kind of overcorrecting and am going to put Fralin PAF style humbuckers in there instead - there are just a a ton of projects I put before it, especially since building a home studio setup at the end of last year.
DaveA wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:12 am
frighteners wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 4:45 pm[Squier Paranormal Jazzmaster XIIs] pickups more bark and honk than shimmer and chime.
Listened to some YT clips and the sound seemed suitably Byrds-esque, at least with the single-note playing. Kinda curious though--what is the output on those current Fender Alnico Jazzmaster PUPs and if someone wanted a more chimy/glassy responsiveness, what would be a suitable replacement for them? Guessing some kind of lower wound option, but they're already single coils, right?

Probably wouldn't replace them off the bat, but it's something to think about.

With profound apologies for the sloppy playing and recording, here is an extremely quick demo of the JM XII along with some other guitars that I think will put my earlier comments into context a bit (also, someone on the offsetguitars.com forum suggested that the bridge pickup on theirs measured ~13k...!). Same "rig" (guitar > GarageBand Hiwatt model with a compressor in front) and settings (relatively flat, presence goosed quite a bit) for each.

Played the same riff 3 times (bridge, then middle, then neck) on each too: the XII is first, then a Traditional 60s Jazzmaster (in blue floral because I am a Very Fancy Boy - and one who has just realized that he very much needs to change his strings) then a Les Paul with a Burstbucker in the bridge as, to my ears, that sounds the closest out of what I have to the XII, bridge pickup especially.

Anyway. The wildly different voicing (but equally authoritative output) between the pickups makes it feel like a super versatile guitar (well, as versatile as a 12-string electric is going to be). Can do the Big Dumb Rock thing in the bridge, sounds like a Jazzmaster in the middle, does the Byrds/etc. jangle in the neck. Still quite enamoured.

frighteners wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 4:07 pm With profound apologies for the sloppy playing and recording, here is an extremely quick demo of the JM XII along with some other guitars that I think will put my earlier comments into context a bit (also, someone on the offsetguitars.com forum suggested that the bridge pickup on theirs measured ~13k...!). Same "rig" (guitar > GarageBand Hiwatt model with a compressor in front) and settings (relatively flat, presence goosed quite a bit) for each.

Played the same riff 3 times (bridge, then middle, then neck) on each too: the XII is first, then a Traditional 60s Jazzmaster (in blue floral because I am a Very Fancy Boy - and one who has just realized that he very much needs to change his strings) then a Les Paul with a Burstbucker in the bridge as, to my ears, that sounds the closest out of what I have to the XII, bridge pickup especially.

Anyway. The wildly different voicing (but equally authoritative output) between the pickups makes it feel like a super versatile guitar (well, as versatile as a 12-string electric is going to be). Can do the Big Dumb Rock thing in the bridge, sounds like a Jazzmaster in the middle, does the Byrds/etc. jangle in the neck. Still quite enamoured.
Thank you for this, I think it sounds amazing! I'm excited

Your playing is real good no friggin apologies accepted

Jazzmaster XII came in, and everything that was said previously is exactly what I found. The pickups sound great! I love the sound, no interest in changing them at all. The setup is shockingly good, especially given a 12 string. The nut needs a bit of work, getting some pinging and a little bit of tuning instability, and the low 'E' octave was a tad low but out of the box it's playable for sure. The fretting is excellent to the point that they have to be putting more effort into these because they're 12 strings - I'm guessing they're fully levelled/dressed but I'll have to look at evidence of that. I'm going to file a drop off, it got a bit squirrely above the 15th fret but not bad at all.
The super thick finish on squier necks always gets me but whatever, I can work that down.

For $449 this is so totally worth it, I regret not getting the 40th anniversary jazz bass I waffled on as well. This is a diamond era for Squier stuff!

Bad photo and pay no attention to my pedal order, it's chaos. Once I had pedals going I sat playing for an hour - this thing is going to be all over my band's next album.