Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Mickey242 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 pm
Mickey242 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:09 pm I have a Re-20 and have lost the screw that connects the XLR connection to the body. Does anyone know what gauge screw this is?
really, no one?
Call/email Bosch and ask, google around and you'll find the number. I've ordered foams for RE-20's from them and they were very helpful and even told me the correct size allen key for the tiny set screw on the headbasket. It's probably just the same reverse thread set-screw in any switchcraft xlr male connector. sacrifice an olde cable or find a US made mic to steal one from.

LBx wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:18 pm FatRat for bass? Anyone loving it? There's one in the 'hood... Before I have an acquaintance build a GCI Bass Brutalist (Turbo Rat-ish) for me... Thinking the FatRat at 18v might be kinda cool.
Said it before, and i'll say it again....any distortion pedal used for bass benefits from a clean blend. Either of the circuits you mention would benefit from it.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

Dr Tony Balls wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:29 am
LBx wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:18 pm FatRat for bass? Anyone loving it? There's one in the 'hood... Before I have an acquaintance build a GCI Bass Brutalist (Turbo Rat-ish) for me... Thinking the FatRat at 18v might be kinda cool.
Said it before, and i'll say it again....any distortion pedal used for bass benefits from a clean blend. Either of the circuits you mention would benefit from it.
took me having your pink pedal to get that, and now I’m running all my stuff in a loop before reverb.
Synth similarly, unless going for that sound, can keep a better percussive attack on some pads if you have clean blended through - was doing that already through a mixer

Is it a recent thing where small/boutique pedal builders have other folks design their circuits for them? Thinking of the EAE dude designing the new 1981 Inventions pedal, or the Dunwich Amps dude doing design work for other builders.

Not intending to shit on this, but just seems like a new trend when it usually seemed like a boutique pedal company was just 1-2 folks doing all designing/building, even it was just twists on standard pedal circuits.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

Haven't tried it out but I'm way back on the Rat train right now. I've got a clone that switches between stock and Turbo settings and I think both are great. I did recently get the Proco Lil' Rat and honestly can't tell any difference between it and the early 00s USA Rat I got earlier this year.

If I didn't already have 4-ish Rats or clones I'd totally get the Fat Rat (I think Tony Ash did get one recently).
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

tallchris wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:48 pm Is it a recent thing where small/boutique pedal builders have other folks design their circuits for them? Thinking of the EAE dude designing the new 1981 Inventions pedal, or the Dunwich Amps dude doing design work for other builders.

Not intending to shit on this, but just seems like a new trend when it usually seemed like a boutique pedal company was just 1-2 folks doing all designing/building, even it was just twists on standard pedal circuits.
I think people are just being more open about it now. The EAE guy is (iirc) a PhD in electrical engineering and has carved out a bit of a niche doing the actual work of analog circuit design in that boutique world. I think given that so much stuff is being made with SMDs there's a bit of a premium being put on "proper" PCB design and layout, so there's a bit of cache in taking your idea to that guy and having him do the work of figuring it out and designing the layout of the board.

Keeley and a few other mid-size companies have been doing DSP design work for other companies for years — iirc they designed and manufactured all the digital stuff for JHS.

So I bought that '70s Tele bass as mentioned in another thread. It's cool, but it needs some work.

It currently has 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob, but I'm not super into the three knob thing. My thought was to go back to master volume and master tone, and then put a pickup selector switch in there and call it done.

HOWEVER, the WRHB in the neck position likes 1meg pots for vol/tone, and the Fralin Jazz-humbucker deal in the "bridge" position wants 250k pots (according to Fralin.)

What would y'all opt to do for pots in this situation?
Jazz Titan/Ruthie Cohen

Current -
Future Living / Daddy's Boy / Blank Banker / Solo

Fomer -
Hungry Man / No Trust / Retreaters

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:21 pm So I bought that '70s Tele bass as mentioned in another thread. It's cool, but it needs some work.

It currently has 2 volume knobs and 1 tone knob, but I'm not super into the three knob thing. My thought was to go back to master volume and master tone, and then put a pickup selector switch in there and call it done.

HOWEVER, the WRHB in the neck position likes 1meg pots for vol/tone, and the Fralin Jazz-humbucker deal in the "bridge" position wants 250k pots (according to Fralin.)

What would y'all opt to do for pots in this situation?
I'd give the third knob a chance. You could do the stacked knob thing, I guess, but at that point you might as well get it a couple 9 volt batteries and a fifth string, aesthetics-wise.

thecr4ne wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 9:35 am
Mickey242 wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2023 11:24 pm
Mickey242 wrote: Sat Jul 01, 2023 10:09 pm I have a Re-20 and have lost the screw that connects the XLR connection to the body. Does anyone know what gauge screw this is?
really, no one?
Call/email Bosch and ask, google around and you'll find the number. I've ordered foams for RE-20's from them and they were very helpful and even told me the correct size allen key for the tiny set screw on the headbasket. It's probably just the same reverse thread set-screw in any switchcraft xlr male connector. sacrifice an olde cable or find a US made mic to steal one from.
Thank you Sir!
"There's a felling I get when I look to the west"
"When the meaningful words. When they cease to function. When there's nothing to say."