Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

It's interesting, after a kind of consensus from helpful folks here I realized there have been a handful of circumstances where I had weird noise problems from the pedal board and that my power supply is an MXR brick, not an ISO brick. It's just about enough to get me to spend more cash on unfun music equipment (see also xlr cables, cymbal stands, mic stands).

Funny enough these new One Spot isolated pedal power boxes have configurations better for my current board(s) than the Voodoo, in terms of total count and 18v choices. Good reviews, competitive price, but it feels funny to buy an improved power supply that says "One Spot" on it.

Drum folk: I got a cheap kit and threw some silent heads on it to practice in my apartment. To really reduce the volume I had to take the resonant heads off. Since all of the toms are floating that's all good, but in the case of the snare as it's sitting in the snare stand on the bearing edge itself would playing it like that mess it up long-term? Do I need a silent bottom head to protect it?

andyman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:51 am Drum folk: I got a cheap kit and threw some silent heads on it to practice in my apartment. To really reduce the volume I had to take the resonant heads off. Since all of the toms are floating that's all good, but in the case of the snare as it's sitting in the snare stand on the bearing edge itself would playing it like that mess it up long-term? Do I need a silent bottom head to protect it?
Yeah, probably a good idea to put the head back on (wires off or loosened) and just put a towel in there or something.

The challenge for me with silent heads is I'm a big rim player and that can be pretty loud still.
Music

penningtron wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 6:00 am
andyman wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 5:51 am Drum folk: I got a cheap kit and threw some silent heads on it to practice in my apartment. To really reduce the volume I had to take the resonant heads off. Since all of the toms are floating that's all good, but in the case of the snare as it's sitting in the snare stand on the bearing edge itself would playing it like that mess it up long-term? Do I need a silent bottom head to protect it?
Yeah, probably a good idea to put the head back on (wires off or loosened) and just put a towel in there or something.

The challenge for me with silent heads is I'm a big rim player and that can be pretty loud still.
Thanks for the advice.
I don't see there being silent rim tech anytime soon unfortunately but what if you switched to like rubber sticks?

andyman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:44 am Also, is this snare hoop warped? It's a brand new kit just set up (a shitty Mapex Tornado, so maybe it falls within the range of "acceptable build quality"?).
Yeah, it's not unlike getting a new Squier with goofy frets or tuners or something. Hoops can also warp over time.

If/when you do need it to be a normal drum you should just go ahead and get new heads for it too. New (especially inexpensive) drums come with the worst heads on them.
Music

penningtron wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:53 am
andyman wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:44 am Also, is this snare hoop warped? It's a brand new kit just set up (a shitty Mapex Tornado, so maybe it falls within the range of "acceptable build quality"?).
Yeah, it's not unlike getting a new Squier with goofy frets or tuners or something. Hoops can also warp over time.

If/when you do need it to be a normal drum you should just go ahead and get new heads for it too. New (especially inexpensive) drums come with the worst heads on them.
Yeah, thinking of just sucking it up and accepting it since I unboxed and built the whole thing yesterday and would rather not have to disassemble it and send it back...

If anyone's wondering the Z-ed mesh heads are quite cool. They come in 1/2/3 ply configurations and the 2-ply are quite realistic feeling. I believe Silentstrokes are only 1 ply and they're a bit unrealistically bouncy (my drum teacher has them on his kit). Not too much noise difference (maybe the Z-eds are a tad quieter).

thecr4ne wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:35 am I have a pignose G40V (similar in design to marshall 2204 I hear) that sounds pretty shrill to me. Like something's not there in the low-mid range, and the highs are murder. Tube swap didn't change this, Pots all do something, but I don't really know where to start to narrow down the cause. Any advice welcome. Schematic below.
1. correct in that its very 2204/2203
2. 2204s/2203s sound pretty shrill to me as is

Did it used to sound different and now it changed, or has it always sounded like this?
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/