Re: Discontinued Beers

Jimbo wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:52 pm whatever the fuck the scoville-ass bitterness scale is
Genuine LOL

I do like a good IPA but definitely agree with you in principle. More effort should be given to make tasty non-IPA ales that are more malt-forward and in the 4-5% ABV range. Nothing wrong with an amber ale, a brown ale, or an ESB. And please stop making session IPAs; they are almost all shit.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 1:08 pm
Jimbo wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 12:52 pm whatever the fuck the scoville-ass bitterness scale is
Genuine LOL

I do like a good IPA but definitely agree with you in principle. More effort should be given to make tasty non-IPA ales that are more malt-forward and in the 4-5% ABV range. Nothing wrong with an amber ale, a brown ale, or an ESB. And please stop making session IPAs; they are almost all shit.
I'd rather have a shit session IPA than another terrible hazy

TylerDeadPine wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 2:48 pm
Genuine LOL

I'd rather have a shit session IPA than another terrible hazy
How about a hazy session IPA? The ultimate in awful.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 pm
LBx wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:58 am For a minute in ~'15 Beau's in eastern Ontario was brewing the Gigantic IPA and I swear I bought 98% of the stock from the depanneur down the alley from where I was living at the time. Like, a daily post work thing or whatever else. Just a perfect blend of haze and hops and freshness.

If the everyday version on tap at yr Oregon local is the same recipe or very close then I'm pretty jealous for sure...
Beaus, I could go for some lugtread right now. Did you ever goto their Oktoberfests? Great lineups
Never. Is it in brewery space or a hall somewhere close by? It'd be a hell of a cab ride to get home from there afterward haha...

offal wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2023 10:15 am I was sad to see Anchor Steam mentioned recently. It was one of the first "fancy" beers I liked in my 20s.
I found and bought some yesterday still for sale at a local liquor store, obviously old stock. So I haven’t had my last one yet.

Genuine LOL

i usually love a good session ale but I hate it when they take the easy way out and make it an IPA. I do love a good IPA but when a brewery makes nothing but IPAs (or pale ales/other ales with as much hops as an IPA or more) I want nothing to do with those lazy hacks. Some brewery made an “India pale lager” and I wanted to fly a plane into a building as soon as I saw that.
f.k.a. jimmy two hands

I used to enjoy getting the mass-produced UK mid-tier pale ales and bitters every now and then. Bass of course, but Spitfire, Shephard Neame, Fuller's, etc. I don't think I've ever had a US ale that was balanced and clean like that. I don't think any of them except maybe Bass are available in locally any more.

biscuitdough wrote: Wed Aug 16, 2023 8:00 am I used to enjoy getting the mass-produced UK mid-tier pale ales and bitters every now and then. Bass of course, but Spitfire, Shephard Neame, Fuller's, etc. I don't think I've ever had a US ale that was balanced and clean like that. I don't think any of them except maybe Bass are available in locally any more.
My local supermarket's liquor department carries Samuel Smith's and Fuller's ales, some of my favorites, but unfortunately they don't clear out their stock when the beer ages past its "best by" date. Their shelves are a minefield of spoiled beer, particularly the imported shelves.

The UK does session beers better than just about anyone else.

LBx wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 8:53 am
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 12:15 pm
LBx wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 10:58 am For a minute in ~'15 Beau's in eastern Ontario was brewing the Gigantic IPA and I swear I bought 98% of the stock from the depanneur down the alley from where I was living at the time. Like, a daily post work thing or whatever else. Just a perfect blend of haze and hops and freshness.

If the everyday version on tap at yr Oregon local is the same recipe or very close then I'm pretty jealous for sure...
Beaus, I could go for some lugtread right now. Did you ever goto their Oktoberfests? Great lineups
Never. Is it in brewery space or a hall somewhere close by? It'd be a hell of a cab ride to get home from there afterward haha...
it was in town, I just remember Constantines, Fucked Up etc. playing