Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

four_oclocker_2.2 wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:59 pm
tallchris wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:24 pm EV ZLX-12BT powered monitor.

After 20ish years of playing in bands I’m finally the guy getting the vocal PA.
I think you mean "After 20ish years of playing in bands I’m finally the guy bringing the vocal PA to house shows."
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com

tallchris wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:34 pm
tallchris wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 2:24 pm EV ZLX-12BT powered monitor.

After 20ish years of playing in bands I’m finally the guy getting the vocal PA.
I think you mean "After 20ish years of playing in bands I’m finally the guy bringing the vocal PA to house shows."
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I bought one...then bought another.......then bought another! I want another! (They rule and I love hearing vocals).
guitar in - weaklungband.bandcamp.com/

Owen wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 6:19 pm
tallchris wrote: Tue Aug 22, 2023 5:34 pm

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
I bought one...then bought another.......then bought another! I want another! (They rule and I love hearing vocals).
So these are noteworthy because they're efficient/powerful? You're using them for mains I take it, or as a monitor?

The EV ZLX series is great because they sound ok and have proven to be rugged/reliable. Best of anything I've found in that price range. Certainly a HUGE step up from most practice space/house show PAs.

I've used them as mains before and they can pretty much keep up with a band, even a loud one in most cases if you're just doing vocals. If you're going to try to send kick to them though or use keys/drum machine, they benefit greatly by a subwoofer.

The plastic housing does have a bit more bleed off to the sides and back than wood/mdf boxes but it's never really been a huge concern. The portability is worth the trade-off here. The shape is a little weird and makes loading/stacking a bit of a headache sometimes but these concerns are minimal.

Keep an eye on the screws that hold the handles in. I have had them come loose. Speaking of handles though, there are plenty of them so that's nice too.

OK. So I'd been thinking it'd be interesting to have access to justly intonated intervals. And while I'm at it, why not 24 per 2/1 ("octave")? There are a few people who make necks fretted for this. One of them is directly associated with La Monte Young, so I submitted an inquiry over his web form, and...nothing. Emailed directly, and similar radio silence. I'm probably not worthy, so ok.

Turns out, there are several people making these, including Metatonal Music. We worked out the specs, and I put in an order.

This neck needs to go on a body, and I'd had an inclination toward a Tele Deluxe, so I ended up submitting an offer on Reverb for a Squier Tele Deluxe body. I happened to find a deal on Fender Vintera wide-range pickups, so I got those, too. This project's starting to come together.
Last edited by Maurice on Tue Oct 10, 2023 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snwv | streak.club | weekly beats | twitch

seby wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:26 am Prism Lyra 2
Overstayer MAS

For office. Doing a bit of audio stuff for the school and they have a budget
Man, I lusted after the Overstayer vca so bad. I even had a deposit to be on the wait list for one over at Vintage King. The part shortage at the height of the pandemic made them over a year behind on orders. Eventually I just turned that money into a microphone. They make such cool stuff, don't know when I'll be crazy enough to start saving for something so niche, but so cool!