Re: The Dance Music Thread

This group of Squish Records players released a one-off 12” that remains severely overlooked in the Italo Disco canon, but it’s become one of my favorites. Both the vocal and instrumental sides are essential for my $$$ and for fans of the genre as a whole. If you’re already a fan of Mr. Flagio’s “Take A Chance” there are some shared names between both releases, but the Art Of Love track is an original composition unlike Flagio’s.

I tend to find 80s electro rather too sparse and monotonous, but this one by The Egyptian Lover is a banger. I can just imagine what it would be like to walk onto a spacious dancefloor in 1986 and hear this played. The awesome gritty thud of the bass/drum and the booming snap of the snare. The vocoder is tasty af, and that thing that sounds like a backwards cowbell is really cool and eerie.

Also the sleeve art. This kind of aesthetic needs to return (or rather, be reinvented).

born to give

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Sep 03, 2023 11:42 am Love that Flagio tune, btw, its original too. And it remains one of my favorite record label designs.
Same, same and same.

Squish has another one worth mentioning but it doesn’t closely compare to the two we’ve mentioned. It’s Savoir Faire’s “Talkin’ To The Stars” 12”, which remains good, but falls on the hazy, downer end of the Italo spectrum. I like it more than Flagio’s 1984
“…Get The Night” follow up for whatever that’s worth.

He wasn’t Italo Disco, but has anyone here heard any of Patrick Cowley’s albums or soundtracks? I’ve been going back to his Afternooners soundtrack often over the last few weeks, I heartily recommend it.