Devo Chicago

that’s going to work out to being $105 for the show and sweatshirt. not worth it in my opinion especially when you factor in drinks. i say, stay home and watch vh1 classic. they’re bound to play the whipit video.
EA General Discussion Forum Backgammon Champion 2006

Devo Chicago

Bob Weston wrote:Um...this seems pretty obvious to me, but maybe it isn't that obvious?

For a show like this, the band (except for fugazi) probably doesn't set the ticket price. The band sets their performance fee.

So, Devo tells the House of Blues that they will play a show for, say $50,000, for instance.

Then the House of Blues decides how much money it will cost them to put on the show (labor, electricity, deli platters, etc)..say $10,000. And they decide what sort of profit they want to make on top of that: $24,500.

Add those 3 things together (venue expenses, venue/promoter profit, and performers fee) $84,500, and divide by the number of tickets for sale (1300) and you come up with a ticket price: $65.

I just made all those numbers up and it's a bit oversimplified. But the point is, the band doesn't set the ticket price. Merely their fee. Unless they're Pearl Jam and want to get into all that.

Devo tickets would be cheaper if Devo asked for less. But Devo didn't set the $65 figure.

bob

I see. Well, you learn something new everyday. So I can't point my anger at Devo only the shit-ass House of Blues. I fucking hate that place. They get you for the tickets and then stick right in your ass with a $5 PBR draft. Fucking Illinois Nazis.

Thanks Bob.

Devo Chicago

This seems to fit in nicely with the whole "Devolution of Devo" theory. Next, look for their signed gear on eBay, followed by allegations of molestation, and then maybe one of them will sign on to cohost "Entertainment Tonight", and then one of them will run for office on the Republican ticket.

You heard it here first. They said they were through being cool, and you didn't believe them.
Why do you make it so scary to post here.

Devo Chicago

Linus Van Pelt wrote:
They said they were through being cool

Mark Mothersbaugh scoring movies for Wes Anderson isn't considered cool? I could see the other members selling equipment on Ebay perhaps, but really they deserve to cash in at this point. They haven't been commercially successful as a band in over twenty years. What else are the other members of Devo going to do, sell insurance?

I still wouldn't pay that much though.
"A cynic is a man who, when he smells flowers, looks around for a coffin."
H. L. Mencken

Kaboom!

Devo Chicago

[quote="punch_the_lion"]What else are the other members of Devo going to do, sell insurance?quote]

Gerald Casale is a very successful director/editor of music videos, TV commercials, etc.

Devo Chicago

The last time I was at the House Of Blues, it took an hour 1/2 to get into the club...we missed half the show, and two Makers Mark & Ginger Ale's cost 18 dollars.

I spent the rest of the evening yelling "Fuck Dan Akroyd" at various walls, pictures, employees, etc.

Childish, yes...but Fuck Dan Akroyd. Dude hasn't made a decent film since Great Outdoors.
Stephen Sowley
sowley@electrical.com
Capt. James T. Lunatic wrote:I Didn't Fight A Secret War In Nicaragua So You Could Walk These Streets Of Freedom Badmouthing Lady America, In Your Damn Mirrored Sunglasses

Devo Chicago

$65? Forget that noise! Everyone needs to come out west and see Devo at the Bumbershoot Festival in Seattle over Labor Day weekend. A one day pass is usually only $25 and they have multi-day passes, too. There's usually at least a dozen bands worth seeing over the course of the weekend, and the last couple years they've had the Flatstock poster show there as well. If you like cool rock posters ala Jay Ryan, Mike King, Asthetic Aparatus and the like you can end up dropping a lot of money there.

http://www.clubdevo.com/mp/live.html
http://www.bumbershoot.org/
http://www.flatstock.com/
http://www.gigposters.com/

Devo Chicago

punch_the_lion wrote:
Linus Van Pelt wrote:
What else are the other members of Devo going to do, sell insurance?

Bob 1, Mark's brother, also works with Mark at his music house Mutato Musika and does the music for the Rugrats TV show among others. Gerry works though Mutado as well.