Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

losthighway wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 8:04 pm
seby wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 9:26 am Prism Lyra 2
Overstayer MAS

For office. Doing a bit of audio stuff for the school and they have a budget
Man, I lusted after the Overstayer vca so bad. I even had a deposit to be on the wait list for one over at Vintage King. The part shortage at the height of the pandemic made them over a year behind on orders. Eventually I just turned that money into a microphone. They make such cool stuff, don't know when I'll be crazy enough to start saving for something so niche, but so cool!
I am super happy to run stuff through it for you (or anyone) once it turns up. The vca is no longer being made by them, and this is a very different unit, but the offer stands!
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

Two things . . .

There's a song from one of my old bands that I wanna redo. The music seems fine but the recording is too shabby to my adult ears, so a do-over is worth attempting. I played through JCM 900 back then but don't have a Marshall at my disposal here, and probably wouldn't have room for it even if I did, so a pedal equivalent seems like a good solution for capturing the overall feel. I bought an Alexander-brand Jubilee Silver Overdrive, which I'll run through the clean channel of my Supro. Looking forward to receiving it and then dialing everything in. Fingers crossed it'll do the trick. Seems like one of the better pedals along these lines but I did notice that a person could spend a lot more chasing that vague sound in a dirt box.

Several weeks back I watched a video on YT with the head honcho of the Fender Custom Shop. He and the guy interviewing him were perusing budget Strats/Squiers/etc. He remarked that many of them were stellar for not a lot of money, but when scoping out such a guitar it's important to make sure the high E doesn't run too close to the bottom edge of the fret board, making bends and such more perilous than they need to be. Have got some Fenders/Squiers, and the only one that has this problem is a Bass VI. It's still playable, but that high E has stuck out to me as being too close to the edge for comfort. Bought a new, made-on-demand bone nut and plan to have it swapped in for the original. Only the guitar shop in town where I've had a number of set-ups done has closed after fifty years, as of about a week ago, so I'll need to take it to a different shop/luthier. It might seem like an "anal" move to have this done, just to move a string a few millimeters away from where it is, but that inner voice says this'll be worth it. We'll see!
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

Of course it's worth it.
Might also be worth taking a shot at it yourself - get the right size blank, pre-slotted for guitar so there are spaced starting points, and carefully use a round rat-tail file to enlarge them (youtube videos explain finer points like using a half-pencil to get the height right, and angling the grooves downward from the "bearing edge" on the fretboard side). Then you have full control and you can do another anytime you need. With care and taking it slow, it's not rocket science and can even be fun.

Will be leaving installation up to a pro for this assignment. The nut I bought was made on-demand and is sized specifically for a Bass VI. Has some light slots already but I will let the luthier file them down exactly right. Have done certain mods myself (installing new tuners with the aid of a reamer tool; swapping pickguards, bridges, tailpieces, and neckplates), but certain stuff I leave to the pros.

Does sound like a fun skill to learn though.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.