Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

There's gotta be some PC experts here.....my office computer was working fine, now it won't start.

It powers on, the case fans spin up, the cpu fan tries to start up but won't, then it turns off. It'll just keep repeating this cycle forever.

I disconnected everything but the system drive to see if that did anything, no dice. Mobo power light is on, so I assume that means it's not toast? Could it just be a dead cpu fan? It's just the standard rinky dink Intel thing.

Win 10 pro 64 bit, ASUS mobo. It's a few years old but it's been 100% up till now.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
work: http://oldcolonymastering.com
fun: https://morespaceecho.com

MoreSpaceEcho wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2023 4:26 pm There's gotta be some PC experts here.....my office computer was working fine, now it won't start.

It powers on, the case fans spin up, the cpu fan tries to start up but won't, then it turns off. It'll just keep repeating this cycle forever.

I disconnected everything but the system drive to see if that did anything, no dice. Mobo power light is on, so I assume that means it's not toast? Could it just be a dead cpu fan? It's just the standard rinky dink Intel thing.

Win 10 pro 64 bit, ASUS mobo. It's a few years old but it's been 100% up till now.

Any ideas anyone? Thanks!
Look up the manual for the exact model of motherboard you have. It'll be printed on it somewhere. Does it have a readout that can display an alphanumeric code, or just a light? There's always some error indicator. It might be the number and length of beeps it makes when booting up, if it's older. Anyway, your motherboard should be trying to tell you in code where to look for the problem.

VaticanShotglass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:12 pm So what’s the process like buying from an online music retailer, like Thomann, from the US? Fees? Hassles?

There’s some hardware and stuff I just have a hard time finding in the states, like one of those Les Trem II things.
Oh man, do it. I was looking for a Beyerdynamic M160 for forever and they were always $799 or something, unless I wanted to buy used at not that big of a discount, like $500 +. I checked google shopping comparisons all the time and never found any great deals, until one day I found them shipped new from Thomann at $589.00.

I think the only catch was that they sent me a second shipping invoice, but the international shipping charge was negligible at like $25 or something. You can pay close enough to that for domestic shipping.

There was a catch where UPS tried to deliver the mic to a local hospital. Thomann responded quickly, but UPS just showed up with the mic in the next couple of days.

Before I gush too much, I often read that Thomann buying a brand is often a kiss of death for them and their aftermarket support, so ymmv, but I’ll probably just buy a second M160 from them once I start recording drums in earnest. Even though I am kind of up to my ears in ribbons and dynamics compared to condensers.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:49 am
VaticanShotglass wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 4:12 pm So what’s the process like buying from an online music retailer, like Thomann, from the US? Fees? Hassles?

There’s some hardware and stuff I just have a hard time finding in the states, like one of those Les Trem II things.
Oh man, do it. I was looking for a Beyerdynamic M160 for forever and they were always $799 or something, unless I wanted to buy used at not that big of a discount, like $500 +. I checked google shopping comparisons all the time and never found any great deals, until one day I found them shipped new from Thomann at $589.00.
Hey, I realize I am going on a side quest here responding about your M160 hunt, but someone on this forum recently mentioned that some store in NY State (maybe Alto?) apparently is a source of B-stock M160s at a good price, and I got my own (more than a decade ago) B-stock from Full Compass in Madison, an excellent deal, working great. Go find some B-stock!

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:49 am

I think the only catch was that they sent me a second shipping invoice, but the international shipping charge was negligible at like $25 or something. You can pay close enough to that for domestic shipping.

There was a catch where UPS tried to deliver the mic to a local hospital. Thomann responded quickly, but UPS just showed up with the mic in the next couple of days.

Before I gush too much, I often read that Thomann buying a brand is often a kiss of death for them and their aftermarket support, so ymmv, but I’ll probably just buy a second M160 from them once I start recording drums in earnest. Even though I am kind of up to my ears in ribbons and dynamics compared to condensers.
Much thanks!! I’m only really going this route because I can’t find this hardware stateside and Canadian shipping is nuts.

Got a small work bonus and hope to try out one of these https://www.goeldo.de/en/duesenberg/tre ... es-trem-ii.