Re: What are you thinking right this second?

Every single market seems to have that pro-audio rep that has all the least desirable lines, has the least knowledgeable staff, and can't seem to do anything to effectively support their lines other than set out updated pricing lists, and can't even effectively send out an Outlook meeting invite with usable link to UC that a majority of the world actually uses.

And then they wonder why they never hear FROM me?

enframed wrote: Tue Oct 10, 2023 8:48 pm Billy Squier fucking ruled. If there was an American "equivalent" to Marc Bolan, he was it.

I just learned of Squier's pre-solo band, Piper. Has anyone heard this? Holy shit it's fucking great!
Funny, I JUST bought the Piper record at Surface Noise in Louisville but I haven't put it on yet. Don't Say No is an absolute monster of a record from start to finish. A bit of a Zep vibe to it, if Zep had better singing and records that didn't have songs I forever skip over. The late Bobby Chouinard was absolutely a Bonham disciple and crushes it.

Emotions in Motion and the next record Signs of Life get into more of the synth pop stuff. There's this "common knowledge" thing that the "Rock Me Tonight" video, with Squier dancing in his bedroom and humping his satin bed was "too gay" and killed his career, and Squier himself likes to blame that one video on his decline, but I think there's plenty of bands of that era (Poison, KISS "Tears are Falling" video) who could who got "less-masculine" and did fine. I think in reality at that point he'd lost his way a bit and there were lots of new, younger artists and his 70s brand didn't survive.
he/him/his

www.bostontypewriterorchestra.com

It feels like I am where I need to be, creatively speaking. Hitting the mark often enough, anyway (though not without trial and error, the occasional pratfall, and most of this occurring in isolation). And yet, trying to reconcile these productive “goings-on” with the apparent trajectory of the world at the moment . . . seems like that will only leave something to be desired. In a lot of ways, the former is an antidote to the latter. And maybe it’s always been this way.
ZzzZzzZzzz . . .

New Novel.

This passage from a review of John Coltrane With Eric Dolphy: Evenings at the Village Gate ( a recent release from old tapes):

"These tapes, made by Village Gate engineer Rich Alderson to test the club's new sound system, had been buried in The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts. The drums are much too loud, often overwhelming the piano and especially the bass. If not for the frequency and fervor of the horns' contributions, they too would struggle against Jones's torrent. "

makes me *more* interested in checking it out. I want to hear the rest of the band, of course, but a recording where Elvin Jones is super loud has its place in a record collection.
Formerly LouisSandwich and LotharSandwich, but I can never recover passwords somehow.