Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

I keep the “fader” knob on a Neve style preamp at halfway at all times for all things. I don’t really know why, I just started doing it once and liked it and never stopped. I just like things to sound like old records without getting into ridiculous garage rock revivalist territory… I’m generally never compressing anything that hard for color. But this is a mic preamp, so of course the effect is relatively subtle. We are not in fuzzbox territory here. And Glyn Johns likes to do that on drums!

Should I not be doing that with the preamp? Just wondering if its one of those stupid habits that will bite me in the ass later at mastering or something.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 3:42 pm I keep the “fader” knob on a Neve style preamp at halfway at all times for all things. I don’t really know why, I just started doing it once and liked it and never stopped. I just like things to sound like old records without getting into ridiculous garage rock revivalist territory… I’m generally never compressing anything that hard for color. But this is a mic preamp, so of course the effect is relatively subtle. We are not in fuzzbox territory here. And Glyn Johns likes to do that on drums!

Should I not be doing that with the preamp? Just wondering if its one of those stupid habits that will bite me in the ass later at mastering or something.
You're just getting some saturation. Probably in very inconsistent amounts depending on everything before the preamp. We're in an era of recording where people (sometimes me) are sending things out to outboard boxes, or modeling (seldom me) the treatment with software. It's all because people have realized the amazing fidelity of digital and all of the best practices for headroom are creating mixes with huge dynamic range. You only ever want so much compression, so saturating things adds density and physical volume to the whole.

Like with anything you do on the way in, you're crafting a sound from the beginning which can be helpful. As you already know don't go too far cause you can't go back.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 pm
mrcancelled wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:42 pm Let's say a total dipshit with not much experience working with guitars/hardware wanted to swap the pickguard of a Peavey T-60, would that be easy to do?
totally. you've got it. You've probably already done it.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I've swapped 'em on strats/teles in the past but the number of controls on my T-60 was kind of intimidating me. I'll give it a shot!

mrcancelled wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 9:47 am
TylerDeadPine wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2023 2:04 pm
mrcancelled wrote: Sat Oct 07, 2023 11:42 pm Let's say a total dipshit with not much experience working with guitars/hardware wanted to swap the pickguard of a Peavey T-60, would that be easy to do?
totally. you've got it. You've probably already done it.

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I've swapped 'em on strats/teles in the past but the number of controls on my T-60 was kind of intimidating me. I'll give it a shot!
Should be easy. If there are hiccups, everyone here will be able to help.

Depending on the source of the new pick guard you might not have all the screw holes might not line up. Report back if this is the case. I ran into that with a few recent [cheap-O)))] swaps. There’s an easy solution with a cooking skewer and superglue.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:20 pm Favorite 4 string bass bridge? Weight being a positive. I'm building a 4 string bass with an EGC 34" scale neck, and trying to decide on a bridge. Badass, Hipshot, standard p-bass, Rick bass? any suggestions for things you like I'm all ears thanks!
There was never anything wrong with the OG P-Bass design, imo. Not worth fussing over the alternatives.
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/thetonyballs/

TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:20 pm Favorite 4 string bass bridge? Weight being a positive. I'm building a 4 string bass with an EGC 34" scale neck, and trying to decide on a bridge. Badass, Hipshot, standard p-bass, Rick bass? any suggestions for things you like I'm all ears thanks!
As far as non-P bass bridge, I do like the Schaller bass bridge that’s on my older EGC bass. It was also used on the 90s Travis Bean reissues.

https://schaller.info/en/bridges/337/3d-4

Old Rick bass bridge is the worst production bass bridge I’ve ever played on.
Band: www.bracketsseattle.bandcamp.com
Old band: www.burnpermits.bandcamp.com
Older band: www.policeteeth.bandcamp.com