Re: Catch-all travel thread

Not an incredibly popular destination, but Querétaro, Mexico, for a week around Thanksgiving. Have been there once before.

Would love recommendations for an excellent barbacoa place. And good regional Mexican restaurants, post-pandemic, in general. Plus any day trips that are less crowded than Bernal or San Miguel, but still worthwhile. Thanks.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:53 am Hong Kong
I love and really miss that place but haven't been there for seven years or so (before the most recent crackdown occurred). Am a little afraid of how much it has changed since then. If you haven't been there before, Kowloon and Mong Kok in particular are awesome. I don't have a suggestion on noodles other than just about everywhere I went for them was awesome. I'd guess that every hole-in-the-wall noodle place without a recognizable name is probably better than one with a name.
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Not an incredibly popular destination, but Querétaro, Mexico, for a week around Thanksgiving. Have been there once before.
Never been there but the company I work for just built a lab there and I will probably end up visiting there soon enough. Definitely am interested in your thoughts afterwards or thoughts of any others that have been there.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 10:56 am
TylerDeadPine wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:53 am Hong Kong
I love and really miss that place but haven't been there for seven years or so (before the most recent crackdown occurred). Am a little afraid of how much it has changed since then. If you haven't been there before, Kowloon and Mong Kok in particular are awesome. I don't have a suggestion on noodles other than just about everywhere I went for them was awesome. I'd guess that every hole-in-the-wall noodle place without a recognizable name is probably better than one with a name.
OrthodoxEaster wrote: Not an incredibly popular destination, but Querétaro, Mexico, for a week around Thanksgiving. Have been there once before.
Never been there but the company I work for just built a lab there and I will probably end up visiting there soon enough. Definitely am interested in your thoughts afterwards or thoughts of any others that have been there.
Beautiful thank you!!

jfv wrote:Never been there but the company I work for just built a lab there and I will probably end up visiting there soon enough. Definitely am interested in your thoughts afterwards or thoughts of any others that have been there.
Oh, cool. There's quite a lot of international business, tech, and investment out in the suburbs. (Especially from Korea.)

Was in Querétaro once before, four years ago. So if and when you end up going, I can share some experiences based on that visit and this next one. Just ask.

It's an enjoyable, if somewhat typical, under-the-radar (to Americans, anyway) city in the Mexican heartland. It doesn't necessarily merit a special trip, but if you happen to be down there for a reason or traveling nearby, I'd call the historic center an extremely pleasant surprise. It's picturesque, but not in a contrived way. Doesn't really pander to anyone except maybe weekenders from Mexico City. Refreshing that way.

TylerDeadPine wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:28 pm I’m in Baja every other week, I can recommend wine, seafood and vegan spots, that’s all I offer the general catch all travel.
When you go to Hong Kong & Ningbo, will you be meeting up with locals (work colleagues?).. or traveling by yourself? Hong Kong wouldn't be so bad if you're going alone, but just about anywhere on mainland (except maybe Shanghai or Beijing) is challenging if you don't have someone to guide you around.

jfv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 pm
TylerDeadPine wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:28 pm I’m in Baja every other week, I can recommend wine, seafood and vegan spots, that’s all I offer the general catch all travel.
When you go to Hong Kong & Ningbo, will you be meeting up with locals (work colleagues?).. or traveling by yourself? Hong Kong wouldn't be so bad if you're going alone, but just about anywhere on mainland (except maybe Shanghai or Beijing) is challenging if you don't have someone to guide you around.
Yeah I’m with a guy who has been many times - we are into… very different things, but he can get around and speaks tourist mandarin

TylerDeadPine wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:01 am
jfv wrote: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:37 pm
Yeah I’m with a guy who has been many times - we are into… very different things, but he can get around and speaks tourist mandarin
Cool. Probably much better than going there by yourself. There were a few times I traveled to mainland and didn't do anything except business meeting, restaurant, hotel room. Have a good time!