Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

DaveA wrote: Keep in mind though, a Bass VI isn't like a P-bass--it's more strings (albeit of a smaller gauge) over smaller fretboard real estate (scale and width), without as much tension. This can result is some notes not resonating as much, if at all (especially toward the end of the fret board, on the low strings). That's even after you've got the right strings, and the nut and bridge saddles are adjusted.
mdc wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 2:38 pm re: bass vi strings... Fender just changed the gauges that come with their regular bass vi string packs, so now you get a .100 instead of an .085 or whatever it was. $20 solution, voila.
These two answers, combined, get closer to what I wondered about the bass vi E string. Looking at it as either an issue with my bass vi, or all, and if it was fixable via a heavier string gauge for more tension, or some other adjustment. The E was loose-feeling its whole length, which weak note articulation over its length. All the other string played perfectly. But the low E was like a playing a cheap regular bass, where the strings are loose and go sharp/flat while playing.

As for use, totally agree that the Bass Vi is its own instrument class. Using it that midpoint between guitar and bass is my favorite use for it.
"I got to tell you, if I went to a show and an opening band I never heard of lugged a Super Six on stage, I am paying attention." - Owen

I want to restore some functionality to a seen-better-days workhorse DIY space PA mixer/amp (Samson S62).

It looks like it has a bunch of (14 total) broken pots where the shaft has been snapped off but NO...

... the pots actually don't have a shaft at all and the knobs have little "feet" that sort of clip onto the potentiometer. I was adjusting master volume using my thumbnail.

I don't recall ever seeing this before and I haven't had luck googling replacement knobs. I can't even find any knobs that resemble these snap-on specimens. WTF. Is there a name for these?

jirbling rake wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:31 pm George L's for pedalboard cables were a thing for a while. Are they now crap or not crap?
I looked at 'em but they are way too rich for my blood. Since I own a soldering iron, it's not that hard for me to RYO for a lot less scratch. I think you could buy a decent iron, watch some youtube videos on soldering and still end up ahead cost-wise vs comparable length and cable ends from them.

I am dubious that there's any real space savings happening & I'm always a little dubious about pressure fit when it comes to cables, especially if they're moved/transported. I would rather just solder them myself. IDK, maybe that's dumb if they're sitting on a pedal board undisturbed.

Update, just remembered that many speaker cables with speakon connectors are pressure fit inside the housing w/ a little #1 phillips screw. MOST of the time they are solid but personal experience w/ off-brand (aka, not Neutrik) speakons coming loose had me double-checking them all back before I transitioned to powered speakers.