Re: Micro-reviews of Gear You Just Bought

TylerDeadPine wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:48 pm
I feel the same way about the Rascal bass - I got it in green,
Yeah, I wanted to get a green one, but this one was such a good price I thought I'd get it just to try it out, maybe sell it and get a green. Then the green were out of stock. The joke was on me.

The moral of the story is that people want green basses so buy one when you can.
"I got to tell you, if I went to a show and an opening band I never heard of lugged a Super Six on stage, I am paying attention." - Owen

I am borrowing a ribbon from Ohma for a couple weeks to try it out, something I hadn't realized they do, which is sweet because I've been wanting to try em. Last I checked I hadn't seen anybody here talking about them, so, off the top of my head, it's three people who all used to work together at AEA, with about 20 years experience at that place among them, and they started their own mic company together. One of them is Nathan Bowers, if any of you happen to follow his Instagram to watch him build or rebuild audio equipment. Anyway, I got a little tour yesterday when I went to borrow it: their mics are apparently so inexpensive in relation to all the super nice ones you can think of because they learned how to machine their own stuff and they don't use a distributor (which wouldn't really work anyway because they let you pick your own colors and windscreens). So, they machine their own condenser capsules, the ribbon mics use 44 ribbons, are active, and the ribbon mic they sent me out the door with yesterday is their new magnet design that apparently gives it another 10dB boost over what they were doing last week. And, among the partners, it's BIPOC, LGBTQ woman co-owned and co-founded. Oh yeah and the day they launched was the day the orange guy got indicted so on their first day they had a 45% off sale on orange mics if you used the code HUSHMONEY. All this to say they seem pretty kickass. I'm sure there's plenty more but I don't know it. Any of y'all around LA like cr4ne and benadrian, maybe go get a tour too. Oh yeah, and airloom I'll be in town if you want to check it out.

Bubber wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:43 am I am borrowing a ribbon from Ohma for a couple weeks to try it out, something I hadn't realized they do, which is sweet because I've been wanting to try em. Last I checked I hadn't seen anybody here talking about them, so, off the top of my head, it's three people who all used to work together at AEA, with about 20 years experience at that place among them, and they started their own mic company together. One of them is Nathan Bowers, if any of you happen to follow his Instagram to watch him build or rebuild audio equipment. Anyway, I got a little tour yesterday when I went to borrow it: their mics are apparently so inexpensive in relation to all the super nice ones you can think of because they learned how to machine their own stuff and they don't use a distributor (which wouldn't really work anyway because they let you pick your own colors and windscreens). So, they machine their own condenser capsules, the ribbon mics use 44 ribbons, are active, and the ribbon mic they sent me out the door with yesterday is their new magnet design that apparently gives it another 10dB boost over what they were doing last week. And, among the partners, it's BIPOC, LGBTQ woman co-owned and co-founded. Oh yeah and the day they launched was the day the orange guy got indicted so on their first day they had a 45% off sale on orange mics if you used the code HUSHMONEY. All this to say they seem pretty kickass. I'm sure there's plenty more but I don't know it. Any of y'all around LA like cr4ne and benadrian, maybe go get a tour too. Oh yeah, and airloom I'll be in town if you want to check it out.
Curious about those. My first impression was they look like Etsy mics, or something Logitech would come up with to sell to yootoobers because they "look great on camera"
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Huh. Everything you said about them sounds awesome but their website has a weird snake oil feel to it. That the whole thing is one mic design (ok, two, condenser or ribbon but one housing) and you tune it by picking different highly visual wind screen patterns? And they also sell earrings? I mean...I guess the proof is in the pudding. Seems weird though.
Radio show https://www.wmse.org/program/the-tom-wa ... xperience/
My band https://redstuff.bandcamp.com/
Solo project https://tomwanderer.bandcamp.com/

Tom Wanderer wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:17 am Huh. Everything you said about them sounds awesome but their website has a weird snake oil feel to it.
I know what you mean, and I feel the same way when I go looking for clear info and don't find it. A couple months back I had to dig around and find this in a GroupDIY thread where they talk more about its guts.

What's inside a Ohma?
info scattered around this thread

Kniferide wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:49 pm My guess is they are run of the mill components in pretty (though I think they look pretty bad) cases.
No need to guess when you can literally read about what's inside them via that link, and discover they seem to not contain run of the mill components, but follow your heart.

But here's an excerpt from the discussion there, for example:
The capsule is a modified version of the Debenham, Robinson, and Stebbings capsule. We've made a few mechanical changes to it. I wish I had more information about the magazine and authors, but the backplate design was published in an article written in a magazine many years ago. (1960s, 1970s?). It's never been used in a commercial product as far as I know. It's a really unique capsule. I haven't heard a capsule before with this kind of low end and top end combination. We spent a long time listening to different tensions/capacitances until we found this one and fell in love. We felt like it was different enough from the capsules we love but stood next to them in their own way. We call it the 'Debby' for short.

Yes! The circuit is a modified 84 circuit. We've changed the transformer ratio as well as the caps to allow for more of the natural bass from the capsule to pickup. In the original 84, they limited the bass since it would overload the smaller capsule. And yeah! We are lucky that we have a ton of NOS Cinemag transformers from the 90s that we love the sound of. They should last us a long time!

Etc.

Bubber wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 4:38 pm
Kniferide wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:49 pm My guess is they are run of the mill components in pretty (though I think they look pretty bad) cases.
No need to guess when you can literally read about what's inside them via that link, and discover they seem to not contain run of the mill components, but follow your heart.

But here's an excerpt from the discussion there, for example:
The capsule is a modified version of the Debenham, Robinson, and Stebbings capsule. We've made a few mechanical changes to it. I wish I had more information about the magazine and authors, but the backplate design was published in an article written in a magazine many years ago. (1960s, 1970s?). It's never been used in a commercial product as far as I know. It's a really unique capsule. I haven't heard a capsule before with this kind of low end and top end combination. We spent a long time listening to different tensions/capacitances until we found this one and fell in love. We felt like it was different enough from the capsules we love but stood next to them in their own way. We call it the 'Debby' for short.

Yes! The circuit is a modified 84 circuit. We've changed the transformer ratio as well as the caps to allow for more of the natural bass from the capsule to pickup. In the original 84, they limited the bass since it would overload the smaller capsule. And yeah! We are lucky that we have a ton of NOS Cinemag transformers from the 90s that we love the sound of. They should last us a long time!

Etc.
I not tossing shade. I hope they are awesome. By run of the mill, I mean what would be inside a Warm Audio, DIY Microphones... name your poison clone of classic style circuits that are in most microphones being manufactured today. Not even throwing shade at those, cause every Warm mic I've heard sounds pretty great and I think the huge price of stuff is often just vintage mojo that is horseshit. I read some of that post and it has some misleading marketing language to me. "Same ribbon as the RCA 44." no, it isn't unless they got them out of RCA 44's. But I bet they are similar spec, as are a lot of mic makers. Mostly my only concern here is they are mics that deserve to be in the $400 range being priced at $700 because of the custom case and bespokeness of it all. I find them kinda cheap and ugly looking but that is all subjective. The website is hella Etsy and so is a lot of the marketing language. Honestly the Electronics in classic mics or any other vintage gear is not magic and anything based on those circuits should be affordable since, unless it is using some component not made anymore, isn't laborious to recreate within a fairly narrow spec. I am interested in cool custom mic bodies, but these don't do it for me.
Was Japmn.

New OST project: https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/flight-ost
https://japmn.bandcamp.com/album/numberwitch
https://boneandbell.com/site/music.html

Kniferide wrote: The website is hella Etsy and so is a lot of the marketing language. Honestly the Electronics in classic mics or any other vintage gear is not magic and anything based on those circuits should be affordable
I hear all of this. I do wish the website were more informative. My experience so far is that they're pretty helpful and willing to talk in terms of contact and outreach, but that's different from having all the info up.