Re: Good songs by bands you hate

There are many bands whom I'm generally just indifferent towards that have released one or two songs I've liked." Message in a Bottle" and "Every Breath You Take" by the Police (although I do hate Sting as a solo artist), "I Don't Like Mondays" by the Boomtown Rats and Rush's "Fly by Night" come to mind.

Two rare examples of good songs by bands I do actually hate would be "Live Forever" by Oasis and - I shame-facedly admit - "Turn it on Again" by Genesis.
I hate music, it's got too many notes.

Bluegum LaBloat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:40 pm ^I was going to post this, but I didn't because don't hate Radiohead either; I just think they're second-rate and boring, and they do just enough synthesis and development from their influences to avoid being called copyists. It's funny and emblematic of them that their best song is built around a plagiarised sample.
I thought I'd read that they had gotten permission for the sample in question. I remember running across the original composer's website waaaaaay back in the day where he talked about the band contacting him? Maybe I mis-remember.

Radiohead definitely ripped off the Hollies though!
Teal Stripe - heavy indie rock
Inverted Candles - antifascist blackmetal
Mirage Music Club - YMO worhip (let us score your indie game)
Service Model - we have Aphex Twin at home

pachinko-devil wrote: Tue Nov 28, 2023 12:06 pm
Bluegum LaBloat wrote: Mon Nov 27, 2023 6:40 pm ^I was going to post this, but I didn't because don't hate Radiohead either; I just think they're second-rate and boring, and they do just enough synthesis and development from their influences to avoid being called copyists. It's funny and emblematic of them that their best song is built around a plagiarised sample.
I thought I'd read that they had gotten permission for the sample in question. I remember running across the original composer's website waaaaaay back in the day where he talked about the band contacting him? Maybe I mis-remember.

Radiohead definitely ripped off the Hollies though!
I don't believe that plagiarism is reliant upon permission or not. I also think "lifted" is the more accurate descriptor for what Radiohead did on Idioteque. It's a 3 second sample? Hardly plagiarism.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale