Re: Small questions that don't fit anywhere

Nate Dort wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:38 am Focusrite Octopre is probably the best bang for the buck that isn't Behringer.
Whoops, sorry, I should have been clearer. Let’s say I already have preamps I want to use and already have an interface that has an optical input. I need a device to connect those analog outputs into the digital optical input to increase my channels. I don’t have the need for another preamp nor audio interface. Just a converter of some kind.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 11:00 am
Nate Dort wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 10:38 am Focusrite Octopre is probably the best bang for the buck that isn't Behringer.
Whoops, sorry, I should have been clearer. Let’s say I already have preamps I want to use and already have an interface that has an optical input. I need a device to connect those analog outputs into the digital optical input to increase my channels. I don’t have the need for another preamp nor audio interface. Just a converter of some kind.
you probable won't get around buying another interface with 8 analog inputs (and outputs) that connects to the ADAT input of your main interface. that Focusrite would work, Behringer has a cheap solution: Behringer Ultragain Digital ADA8200.
I have a RME Adi 8 plugged into my RME fireface via ADAT. actually I have 2 Adi 8 with a total of 24 analog in- and outputs. that reduces the max sample rate to max 48 kHz by the way.

Edit: I'm not sure if you could get a used digidesign interface for like 80 bucks and connect it via ADAT. I mean, they used to be state of the art interfaces.

bassdriver wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:12 pm
you probable won't get around buying another interface with 8 analog inputs (and outputs) that connects to the ADAT input of your main interface. that Focusrite would work, Behringer has a cheap solution: Behringer Ultragain Digital ADA8200.
I have a RME Adi 8 plugged into my RME fireface via ADAT. actually I have 2 Adi 8 with a total of 24 analog in- and outputs. that reduces the max sample rate to max 48 kHz by the way.

Edit: I'm not sure if you could get a used digidesign interface for like 80 bucks and connect it via ADAT. I mean, they used to be state of the art interfaces.

After doing some more digging I see what you mean. Was hoping for something simpler and more eloquent than an additional preamp to do this but it seems like if I have to go that route I could just use my old Digi002R to accomplish this if it’s not connected to the computer. I guess the bonus is that 4 of the channels aren’t going through an additional preamp. Downside is it is bulky as hell.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

Yeah, standalone A/D converter boxes are expensive for some reason. Maybe because they're more "pro?" Regardless, the pro-sumer preamps with ADAT outputs like Focusrite and MOTU and whatnot are kinda the next best option. Sure, you're getting preamps you won't use, but that's not a big deal nowadays. Preamps are pretty transparent when they're not providing any gain. Either way, there's some sort of active circuitry between the input jack and the A/D converter regardless of what box you buy. You can't avoid that.

llllllllllllllllllll wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 6:32 am What k+m stands do yall use for overheads and hopefully tall vocalists? 210/21?

I am something like 6” tall, nothing crazy but I can’t get a 210/9 stand up for a good mic height.

Edit: I don’t necessarily need a k+m stand, I do need one that is over 6” and doesn’t droop. I need two and can’t afford two ~$300 stands
The K+M heavy duty stand can hold a Coles 4038 over a drum set or piano with the boom arm stuck out at an angle. Sometimes it will sag if you leave it overnight. You could track vocals with Shaquille Oneal using that stand.

tommy wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:39 pm
bassdriver wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 12:12 pm

After doing some more digging I see what you mean. Was hoping for something simpler and more eloquent than an additional preamp to do this but it seems like if I have to go that route I could just use my old Digi002R to accomplish this if it’s not connected to the computer. I guess the bonus is that 4 of the channels aren’t going through an additional preamp. Downside is it is bulky as hell.

Don’t you have 8 line inputs if you use the line ins 1-4 instead of the XLR inputs?