Re: What are you buying, What's on its way?

tommy wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 12:31 pm summary: stuff that sounds like a hassle/headache by switching from PT to Reaper
Tommy, this description sounds like absolutely the last thing I want to deal with. As it is jumping from PT 10 to whatever it is now will be daunting enough. I'm very much a keyboard shortcut guy and feel very fluid in PT that I don't have to think about it much or do a hard shifting of the gears in my brain mode to go look things up very often.

To ease the pain of my purchase and do it in steps, I think I can continue to use the older machines just for tracking drums w/ the 002 (and have some redundancies since they are old machines) and then use the 2-channel Duet I picked up for < $100 w/ a new machine and newer version of PT for overdubs and tracking until I can buy a newer nicer muliti-channel interface.

I guess all that being said, I do keep forgetting that it's very low-cost to try out and test so I will definitely be doing that first.

numberthirty wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:27 pm I take it that the Google sorted out switching inputs?
Sorta! As with everything, I do it the hard way. The you tube stuff I watched all said right click on the track, but it’s really right click on the track REC button specifically. Clicking anywhere else gives a different menu. ALSO, I noticed after the fact that just clicking on the track record button shows you the input by way of adding another line of options previously unshown, where you can also change the input.

Figured out adding an effects track you can send multiple tracks to. But it seems you cannot mute it in the mixer to test dry vs level for some reason. Is there a different way of doing this? Or is that the way to do an effects buss in Reaper?
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:37 pm Figured out adding an effects track you can send multiple tracks to. But it seems you cannot mute it in the mixer to test dry vs level for some reason. Is there a different way of doing this? Or is that the way to do an effects buss in Reaper?
I assume you're using the send/receive function to route sources to your fx track. Either way, the mute button on the mixer will mute everything on that track, including any receives from other tracks. I regularly use this for a reverb bus.

In fact, this is one of the things I don't like about Reaper. It makes creating headphone sends a pain in the ass, as there's no way to do a pre-mute send. The mute is essentially the first thing in the signal path, so any mutes you make in the control room will be heard in the studio headphone mixes, regardless if your send is pre- or post-fader.

Nate Dort wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:07 pm
tommy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:37 pm Figured out adding an effects track you can send multiple tracks to. But it seems you cannot mute it in the mixer to test dry vs level for some reason. Is there a different way of doing this? Or is that the way to do an effects buss in Reaper?
I assume you're using the send/receive function to route sources to your fx track. Either way, the mute button on the mixer will mute everything on that track, including any receives from other tracks. I regularly use this for a reverb bus.

In fact, this is one of the things I don't like about Reaper. It makes creating headphone sends a pain in the ass, as there's no way to do a pre-mute send. The mute is essentially the first thing in the signal path, so any mutes you make in the control room will be heard in the studio headphone mixes, regardless if your send is pre- or post-fader.
I created a new track and called it VOX FX. I put the input to a random stereo pair (5/6) because I can’t see any other way to create a stereo track. I used the send on three different vocal tracks to go to track VOX FX. I didn’t use return. I then put both an EQ (to drop some of the low end) and a reverb 100% wet on that VOX FX track. Turn the fader half way up and hear lots of reverb. If I hit mute on the VOX FX track I still hear reverb. Makes zero sense to me.
self: https://tommiles.bandcamp.com/
old: https://shiiin.bandcamp.com/

tommy wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:33 pm
Nate Dort wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 2:07 pm

I created a new track and called it VOX FX. I put the input to a random stereo pair (5/6) because I can’t see any other way to create a stereo track. I used the send on three different vocal tracks to go to track VOX FX. I didn’t use return. I then put both an EQ (to drop some of the low end) and a reverb 100% wet on that VOX FX track. Turn the fader half way up and hear lots of reverb. If I hit mute on the VOX FX track I still hear reverb. Makes zero sense to me.
Tracks are stereo by default. No need to assign a stereo pair as input.

What you're describing should work. However, I've gotten in the habit of using track folders instead of sends for situations like this, where you want all the guitars or all of the vocal tracks to go through one set of effects. It basically allows you to create a submix and have a single fader for each group. I find this way easer to mix than having to adjust all of the submix elements indivdually.