Beck Hansen

NC
Total votes: 14 (54%)
C
Total votes: 12 (46%)
Total votes: 26

Re: Beck

losthighway wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:23 am Scientology is a load of shit, but I can't imagine sidelining him for his religious beliefs (which he might not even have). With that perspective I'd never be able to enjoy Low, Johnny Cash or Most Def.
That one's always bugged me but I enjoy their music. As long as one isn't hurting others, legislating against civil rights, supporting those who legislate against civil rights it's a non-issue. Scientology feels more cult-like than a traditional religion.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

People can talk about pastiche, Beastie Boys type stuff (a group I legit can't stand), etc all they want...and yeah maybe some of that element hasn't aged well. But all I'm saying is that you stick this dude in front of a mic with an acoustic guitar and good things happen. He has an ear for melody, a nice voice and cool lyrics:

Last edited by InMySoul77 on Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Why would him being a Scientologist matter when so many of your favorites are Christians (plus Muslims, religious Jews, etc.), a cult that did and is doing so much harm in the world that it makes Scientology look like a child's play?
Anyway, he's crap
Sorry for my shitty English

rsmurphy wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 10:17 am

There was an ill-fated Flaming Lips/Beck tour where Coyne started beef with Beck calling him a "diva" in the press, complaining that he didn't set up his own gear. It's funny-sad to me this notion of Wayne Coyne reading his contemporaries for filth. Talk about a diva.

No vote

I'd take Beck as a songwriter and musician over Wayne Coyne any day.

InMySoul77 wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2023 12:23 pm I'd take Beck as a songwriter and musician over Wayne Coyne any day.
In my humble opinion Steven Drozd, Ronald Jones, and Jonathan Donohue were the key musicians/songwriters, but, yeah, currently I'd take Beck over Wayne Coyne.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

I mentioned this on the old board, but there was a time in my life (c. 1997) where I was such a fan of Beck that I tried to get a hold of every song he had ever done. I bought stuff like the DGC Rarities Vol. I just for 'Bogusflow', or the KCRW Morning Becomes Electric comp for 'Mexico'. I tape-traded with people to get stuff like Golden Feelings and A Western Harvest Field By Moonlight.

Also, some of his tunes like 'Jack-Ass', 'Puttin It Down', 'Rowboat', and 'Satan Gave Me A Taco' were the first songs I learned to play on guitar.

I think he's gotten boring now, the last album of his that was sorta-interesting was Morning Phase. But for his 90's output and the easy-to-learn guitar tunes, Not Crap.
"Whatever happened to that album?"
"I broke it, remember? I threw it against the wall and it like, shattered."