Not crap
Total votes: 5 (31%)
Crap
Total votes: 11 (69%)
Total votes: 16

Re: Lady Gaga

InMySoul77 wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 2:54 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 9:57 am

Lady Gaga has stronger vocals than Madonna, that's about it.
When did Madonna ever do something as sonically huge and compelling as this

lasted two seconds then my brain emitted the 95 Windows shutdown sound because auto tune abuse.

ChudFusk wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 10:25 pm
rsmurphy wrote: Tue Dec 19, 2023 6:55 amNippy
Excuse me, who?
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

I'm willing to slag her off for her associations w/ that absolute hack Jeff Koons. Gaga apologists will say she was pushed into it by her management. Meh.

More seriously she's got songs that made a lot of younger & more normie-tasted folks feel ok about living for a bit. Kinda hard for me to vote crap on folks who have material that falls under "this song saved my life" regardless of if I actually like it or not.

Garth wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:01 am I'm willing to slag her off for her associations w/ that absolute hack Jeff Koons. Gaga apologists will say she was pushed into it by her management. Meh.
Tell me more about the problem with Jeff Koons.

I saw a bunch of his stuff in Bilbao. Didn't knock me out but it seemed amusing pop art at absurd scales. Did he steal all his ideas?

Garth wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:01 amMore seriously she's got songs that made a lot of younger & more normie-tasted folks feel ok about living for a bit. Kinda hard for me to vote crap on folks who have material that falls under "this song saved my life" regardless of if I actually like it or not.
If Lady Gaga never existed, there would be plenty of other pop music to fill that void for anyone that desperate for a reason to live.
And if 3 minutes of autotuned oontz is all it takes to save someone's life, how much danger were they really in?
Escape Rope / Black Mesa / Inflatable Sex Babies

ChudFusk wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:51 pm
Garth wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 10:01 amMore seriously she's got songs that made a lot of younger & more normie-tasted folks feel ok about living for a bit. Kinda hard for me to vote crap on folks who have material that falls under "this song saved my life" regardless of if I actually like it or not.
If Lady Gaga never existed, there would be plenty of other pop music to fill that void for anyone that desperate for a reason to live.
And if 3 minutes of autotuned oontz is all it takes to save someone's life, how much danger were they really in?
Haven't you ever heard the Velvets' "Rock and Roll"? Plenty of people's lives were saved by rock and roll.

You may not like the music but "Born this Way"'s lyrics champion the LGBT community's very existence, I would imagine it was kind of a big deal for certain young people growing up.

Who else was doing that for normies or even punk/indie kids? Madonna had "Vogue" which wasn't quite the same thing. That's all I can think of.

InMySoul77 wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 4:14 am
You may not like the music but "Born this Way"'s lyrics champion the LGBT community's very existence, I would imagine it was kind of a big deal for certain young people growing up.

Who else was doing that for normies or even punk/indie kids? Madonna had "Vogue" which wasn't quite the same thing. That's all I can think of.
if you can't think of a single artist who was championing LGBT matters before 2008, perhaps you may want to sit this one out.