Re: Vaporizable Offenses

Anthony Flack wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 1:26 am But bio-pic is an ENGLISH contraction. Surely they're familiar with a bio and a pic.

Nobody wanted to have to say quadpter.
Not the point. Helicopter is a rebracketing of helico-pter.

The biopic one tickles me as it's such a recent internet nerd phenomenon. I've spent significant chunks of the last decade shopping a biopic amongst other things, and dealiing with people who in some cases deal with nothing but biopics I'd still say it's a solid 90/10 in favour of 'bio-pic', as far as speech is concerned.

Time had largely rebracketed it, much like helicopter or hamburger, then this fairly recent nerd insistence hit.
at war with bellends

I realize it's something to do with where to place the emphasis, but I can't figure out how this works here.

You mean there are people who say hElicopter and others who say helicOpter? What about biopic then? I say it the same way as biosphere, are there people doing differently?
born to give

kokorodoko wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:04 am I realize it's something to do with where to place the emphasis, but I can't figure out how this works here.

You mean there are people who say hElicopter and others who say helicOpter? What about biopic then? I say it the same way as biosphere, are there people doing differently?
Helico comes from helix, and pter from wing (see pterodactyl), but helicopter has over time lost that second syllable stress and that's eventually allowed it to abbreviate to copter. That's rebracketing. See also hamburger (a beef patty from hamburg), which eventually rebracketed to burger.

The rebracketing of biopic hasn't taken hold, although you get plenty of execs playing at being busier than their schedules allow and saying 'opic' in conversation.... I would imagine the initial spoken version adhered to type as BIO- pic (because BIOgraphical picture), but in fairly short order it resolved to BYE-opic amongst the majority of English speakers.

I don't know if it's the curse of internet aggregators colliding with redittors or something, but it seems to have become a sudden bugbear for a very vocal (well, typehappy) minority.
Last edited by A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 amThe rebracketing of biopic hasn't taken hold, although you get plenty of execs playing at being busier than their schedules allow and saying 'opic' in conversation....
This makes me very angry.

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 amI would imagine the initial spoken version adhered to type as BIO- pic (because BIOgraphical picture), but in fairly short order it resolved to BYE-opic amongst the majority of English speakers.
Do they say it like 'myopic'?
born to give

kokorodoko wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:51 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:40 amI would imagine the initial spoken version adhered to type as BIO- pic (because BIOgraphical picture), but in fairly short order it resolved to BYE-opic amongst the majority of English speakers.
Yes, that's what's most commonly heard and accepted. I imagine it'll flip within the next decade though.
Last edited by A_Man_Who_Tries on Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:53 am
kokorodoko wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 9:51 am
Yes, that's what's most commonly heard and accepted.
Ok. Wow. Infuriating.
born to give