Album by Slint: Tweez vs. Spiderland

Tweez
Total votes: 5 (12%)
Spiderland
Total votes: 36 (88%)
Total votes: 41

Re: Album by Slint: Tweez vs. Spiderland

I was exposed to both albums roughly around the same time. Being a hard rock kind of guy I gravitated towards Tweez. I mean, Spiderland is magnificent and all but it's not as cool as Bastro. Since there was zero information about the band besides what was on the album sleeves I used to think the songs on Tweez were ABOUT their parents and their funny personality quirks.

Dad, drunk on the sofa during the holidays: "I've got a Christmas tree inside my head!"

"Hey Mom, how do you get to the quarry?"
"Past where they paint the houses."
"What was that?"
"Past where they paint the houses! PAST WHERE THEY PAINT THE HOUSES!!"

Dad, pissed off and getting ready for work: "Pass me the Goddamn tweezers!"

Dad, trying to give the facts of life talk to his bored teenage son: "I knew these two people ... um, there was a boy and a girl ... they were nice people ... they started being seen exchanging tokens of affection and it was rumored they were engaging in ... I think you know what I'm talking about ... You know what they did? You know what they became?"
"Wow ... that was you and Mom, huh Dad? (Yawn) How interesting ..."

Etc. etc.

I love Tweez. That crushing drop D chord and the harmonics in harmony that kick the record off still get me excited after all these years. While Spiderland has spawned countless imitators, there's no album remotely like Tweez. Also, Spiderland has inspired hundreds of articles and essays while there's barely any discussion about Tweez out there, save for the 33 1/3 book and the Slint film. That's fine with me.

[Oh, and Dave Pajo's comments about being into cheesy heavy metal guitars made sense once I figured out how to play this stuff. A "hot" guitar like a Charvel-Jackson run through an overdrive pedal can clearly give you the super high third fret harmonics heard on songs like Ron and Nosferatu Man.]
https://thegemshow.bandcamp.com/album/a-mountain-2
https://spitegeist.bandcamp.com/
https://wandajunes.bandcamp.com/

Re: Album by Slint: Tweez vs. Spiderland

tonyballzee wrote:Since there was zero information about the band besides what was on the album sleeves I used to think the songs on Tweez were ABOUT their parents and their funny personality quirks....

I love Tweez. That crushing drop D chord and the harmonics in harmony that kick the record off still get me excited after all these years. While Spiderland has spawned countless imitators, there's no album remotely like Tweez. Also, Spiderland has inspired hundreds of articles and essays while there's barely any discussion about Tweez out there, save for the 33 1/3 book and the Slint film. That's fine with me.
Fuck, what a great and hilarious post! You've succeeded in almost making me want to change my vote b/c this is precisely how I felt about Tweez circa 1991, as well. At that time, a friend owned a copy and I'd only heard it at his place. You couldn't really find the thing circa then. And the band was indeed rather enigmatic, despite the Squirrel Bait and Bastro connections being well known.

I bought the T&G reissue when it was new and got into it pretty deeply b/c Spiderland started to seem a little played-out and I'd listened to those songs to death. Plus, Tweez rocked way harder. Those harmonics, indeed! Imagine my delight a year later to find a used copy of the original Jennifer Hartman vinyl for like $8. It's 1994 and still, nobody cares about this record. This only compounded my love for the thing. It's unique, all right.