Re: Vaporizable Offenses

dontfeartheringo wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 3:55 pm
seby wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 6:25 pm
enframed wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2024 3:06 pm

Do you think he asks to "try" because he's an idiot, or because he enjoys the extra attention? Either way I think he needs some therapy.
Using “try” here is weird. There would need to be a lot of emphasis for the intended meaning to cone across at all.
I think you guys are underestimating the commitment of the true alcoholic.

"I'll try 16 ounces of [x] beer before I commit to ruining my life with it."

16 ounces IS a trial dose. A moment on the lips. Pure ephemera. A confetto in a cyclone of pints.
Fair
"lol, listen to op 'music' and you'll understand"....

https://sebastiansequoiah-grayson.bandcamp.com/
https://oblier.bandcamp.com/releases
https://youtube.com/user/sebbityseb

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:45 pm
losthighway wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:14 pm Brits have been doing this for decades then, haven't they? But you didn't mention that, did you?

I know Canadians do it too, eh?
Who made me the defender of what Brits do? Not that I ever noticed it much to be honest, no.
You're not. My example turned out sounding aggressive. Which is funny because it's really a way to make an argument more passive aggressive. You also have to read it in the distinct British melody not employed in the flat Yankee affect.

losthighway wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:38 am
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 11:45 pm
losthighway wrote: Thu Feb 01, 2024 9:14 pm Brits have been doing this for decades then, haven't they? But you didn't mention that, did you?

I know Canadians do it too, eh?
Who made me the defender of what Brits do? Not that I ever noticed it much to be honest, no.
You're not. My example turned out sounding aggressive. Which is funny because it's really a way to make an argument more passive aggressive. You also have to read it in the distinct British melody not employed in the flat Yankee affect.
You've lost me there mate. I mean, the two 'Brit examples' you've stated are actually questions, so of course they'll be phrased as questions. So I don't get it.
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:43 am
You've lost me there mate. I mean, the two 'Brit examples' you've stated are actually questions, so of course they'll be phrased as questions. So I don't get it.
Oh my, but I'm tedious. Sorry, but I'll persist in the egocentric desire to be understood.

The basic formula is this: take an argumentative statement, tack on a question that almost implies agreement from the listener before they've given it. So:

"I'm being tedious."

*becomes*

"I'm being tedious, aren't I?"

Or:

"But no one's going to bother to read this shit."

*becomes*

"But no one's going to bother to read this shit then are they?".

Half of the meaning is pitch. A rising tone on the question words actually sounds uncertain, but many a British rhetorician adores punctuating the half question quickly and in a descending tone.

^ A lot of young Brits do it now, but I (an old Brit) have always (well, since my teens) seen this phrasing of statements as questions* as an Aussie thing. The kids in Neighbours and Home and Away were always doing it.

* Also seen this referred to as HRT. High Rise Terminals

losthighway wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 1:15 pm
A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 7:43 am
Oh my, but I'm tedious. Sorry, but I'll persist in the egocentric desire to be understood.

The basic formula is this: take an argumentative statement, tack on a question that almost implies agreement from the listener before they've given it. So:

"I'm being tedious."

*becomes*

"I'm being tedious, aren't I?"

Or:

"But no one's going to bother to read this shit."

*becomes*

"But no one's going to bother to read this shit then are they?".

Half of the meaning is pitch. A rising tone on the question words actually sounds uncertain, but many a British rhetorician adores punctuating the half question quickly and in a descending tone.
Yes, but the moronic interrogative is the tonal shift upwards at the end of a non-question sentence, e.g.

"I bought some apples."
at war with bellends

A_Man_Who_Tries wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2024 4:26 pm
Yes, but the moronic interrogative is the tonal shift upwards at the end of a non-question sentence, e.g.

"I bought some apples."
Oh yeah. That's only any good if it would be an appropriate place to use the word 'apparently'. Like a situation understood by both parties to be simultaneously baffling but true.

Otherwise all forms of upspeak are grating.