Wine - alcoholic drink made from fermented fruit

Red
Total votes: 23 (82%)
White
Total votes: 5 (18%)
Total votes: 28

Re: Wine

Like Mssr Penningtron I am currently off the sauce. What a drag it was to have my appreciation of wine begin to take hold as I was making the decision to chill. That said, not crap. Big, strong reds for a big, strong man. Prosecco w sushi.
Justice for Dexter Wade and Nakari Campbell

losthighway wrote: Also, shout out to a chilled Vino Verde in the summer. This might count as a white, I don't know cause I'm wine dumb.
Can be either.

Vinho verde branco is usually a slightly spritzy white made from a blend of grapes, although it can also be 100% albarinho. The bad stuff is basically soda, but the good stuff is great fun. Ok, fuck that, even the middling stuff can be enjoyable w/the right food and company.

Vinho verde tinto, served cold, can have some fizz as well, but it's a dark yet never heavy red, typically made from a grape called vinhão. It's both high in acid and high in tannins, and the intense bitterness can be polarizing to the American palate (a little like Piedmontese freisa in that respect). But I happen to love the stuff, even some of the low-end bottles from the co-ops. Tastes like raspberry seeds or something. So good served freezing cold alongside crisp-skinned pork belly or a thick, bloody vealsteak. I just drank a bottle last week, in fact.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 2:48 pm
losthighway wrote: Also, shout out to a chilled Vino Verde in the summer. This might count as a white, I don't know cause I'm wine dumb.
Vinho verde tinto, served cold, can have some fizz as well, but it's a dark yet never heavy red, typically made from a grape called vinhão. It's both high in acid and high in tannins, and the intense bitterness can be polarizing to the American palate (a little like Piedmontese freisa in that respect). But I happen to love the stuff, even some of the low-end bottles from the co-ops. Tastes like raspberry seeds or something. So good served freezing cold alongside crisp-skinned pork belly or a thick, bloody vealsteak. I just drank a bottle last week, in fact.
IIRC, typically no malolactic fermentation on tinto, so much more tart than most reds. I love the stuff.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

I lived in Italy for five years and am awfully ignorant of wine still. Two of my best Italian friends are from Bassano del Grappa and Feltre (near the prosecco road), so I'll go with white based on the memories of many apertivos.

enframed wrote:
IIRC, typically no malolactic fermentation on tinto, so much more tart than most reds. I love the stuff.
Ok, so this is way geeky for this thread, but that bottle in question was a 2016 Monção e Melgaço co-op vinho verde tinto. Given to me by a Portuguese grandmother over the summer. "No way could this be good," I thought. Too old (the wine, not the grandma; she's great). It's not a prestigious producer and you're supposed to drink even the best vinho verde tinto when it's young. Bottle looked like it had been stored for years in a bathtub full of ice. Stained, waterlogged label. Surprise... tasted fucking great. Plenty of life left in it, lots of acid, tannic, not raisiny or tired at all. All the sharp elbows you know and love.

OrthodoxEaster wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 3:00 pm
enframed wrote:

Ok, so this is way geeky for this thread, but that bottle in question was a 2016 Monção e Melgaço co-op vinho verde tinto. Given to me by a Portuguese grandmother over the summer. "No way could this be good," I thought. Too old (the wine, not the grandma; she's great). It's not a prestigious producer and you're supposed to drink even the best vinho verde tinto when it's young. Bottle looked like it had been stored for years in a bathtub full of ice. Stained, waterlogged label. Surprise... tasted fucking great. Plenty of life left in it, lots of acid, tannic, not raisiny or tired at all. All the sharp elbows you know and love.
Sounds wonderful! I love when things like that happen.

Eh, "supposed to be drunk when young..." they say that about rose wine too, and it's very (most) often not true, a little bottle age (stored correctly, of course) helps most white and rose wines, IMO. Sharp elbows is a great description!
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale

enframed wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:10 pmTry Lambrusco Grasparossa from a reputable importer (Cleto Chiarli and Zanasi wineries spring to mind)
I remember having a variety of Lambrusco the last time I was in Italy.. near Vicenza.. maybe 7 years or so ago. There’s no way I’d be able to tell you what variety it was.. other than delicious, rich, yet somehow refreshing at the same time.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

jfv wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 7:35 pm
enframed wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 12:10 pmTry Lambrusco Grasparossa from a reputable importer (Cleto Chiarli and Zanasi wineries spring to mind)
I remember having a variety of Lambrusco the last time I was in Italy.. near Vicenza.. maybe 7 years or so ago. There’s no way I’d be able to tell you what variety it was.. other than delicious, rich, yet somehow refreshing at the same time.
Beer people, especially those who like lambics and gueuzes, IME tend to like Lambrusco, as it drinks a bit like a fruited sour beer.
Records + CDs for sale
Perfume for sale