Re: Little Details from Your Day

I found a pin that my grandfather brought me from one of his trips to the Soviet Union back in the 70’s. He used to bring me coins, pins, and other odds and ends whenever he went there. My grandmother had a picture on her dresser of him standing in Red Square, wearing a trench coat and looking dapper. He worked for a company that made actuators, and they did a lot of business in the USSR.

It seems strange to me that my grandfather was spending so much time in the Soviet Union during the thick of the Cold War. I’d love to read his FBI file.

Dave N. wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:19 pm I found a pin that my grandfather brought me from one of his trips to the Soviet Union back in the 70’s. He used to bring me coins, pins, and other odds and ends whenever he went there. My grandmother had a picture on her dresser of him standing in Red Square, wearing a trench coat and looking dapper. He worked for a company that made actuators, and they did a lot of business in the USSR.

It seems strange to me that my grandfather was spending so much time in the Soviet Union during the thick of the Cold War. I’d love to read his FBI file.
My grandparents had a lot of guests from the Soviet Union during those years. My grandparents were leftist and apparently Soviet Union sympathizers. I also would like to know what kind of files SUPO (Finnish equivalent to FBI, I guess) has of them.

having recently been upgraded from temp to real employee, I finally got to move into a cubicle o my own today. It's right next to the department admin's cubicle, which is fine 'cause she's cool, but terrible 'cause the guy who talks about nothing endlessly likes to stop and talk to her for way too long. It's happening right now. It's been 15 minutes already. I might go outside for a walk and come back in half an hour and he'll still be going. Make it stop.

The first COVID relief payment I received paid for a root canal and some repairs on my car, both unexpected.

Oregon has what is called a "kicker" every couple of years on our state income tax. If the state budget has a windfall, it is returned to taxpayers. The total kicker is always a different amount and each taxpayer's portion is dependent upon their own earnings.

My state tax refund this year is about $2100, and that's a lot more than I have ever gotten back from the state. Yesterday my car wouldn't start. Got that fixed, but the shop also told me about some suspension issues that need taking care of, and I'll need to replace the front tires, too.

Gonna be about two grand, all in.
Last edited by iembalm on Tue Feb 13, 2024 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."

Vibracobra wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 3:57 am Most of my ancestors bravely fought Franco in the 30's. I didn't inherit their bold genes. Not even one.
To be fair to yourself, once people start being disappeared here, you might find some personal resources that your ancestors were also unaware of until presented with an existential threat.
"And the light, it burns your skin...in a language you don't understand."