Duke Ellington

Crap (No votes)
Not crap
Total votes: 16 (100%)
Total votes: 16

Re: Duke Ellington

jfv wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:34 pm This NIU alum first knew of him because of the ballroom on campus named after him. Jazzers on my dorm room floor introduced me to his music. Still don't really know a ton about him but know enough to say he's NC.
Hell yeah, never went to a show there myself, just prom (Sycamore High grad). When I was in grade school/junior high, Pearl Jam/Smashing Pumpkins/RHCPs played there one night. Not high praise but NIU used to get big shows like that. I think Rage played there when I was a freshman in high school. There was a 'lounge' called Diversions in the student center as well, the Jesus Lizard played there once. They also played Otto's twice but that place was torn down in 2017 for luxury apartments.

Don't know Duke's music that much, no vote.

AdamN wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:42 am There was a 'lounge' called Diversions in the student center as well, the Jesus Lizard played there once.
US Maple played there too. Didn't know about it beforehand (internet not too great at the time) and just happened to see their poster on the wall right before the show started. Walked right in. Great show. There were about 5 people there, though.
jason (he/him/his) from volo (illinois)

Wood Goblin wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:25 am
Was it the Terry Teachout bio, by chance? Because I just finished it myself.
Yep, pretty good read right?
penningtron wrote: The bits I like just make me want to listen to The Black Saint and the Sinner Lady more.
That's a damned fine jazz album. Mingus had a unique knack for making things sound simultaneously classic and avant garde.

The greatest American composer and bandleader. Incredible piano player. Not crap with no waffles whatsoever. So many incredible albums, so much fucking swag.
Wood Goblin wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 4:53 pm owing to the Duke’s unfortunate tendency to occasionally pass off other people’s compositions as his own.
Did he actually do that? He worked closely with Billy Strayhorn and always credited him, before and after Strays died. I'm pretty sure he credited Caravan to Juan Tizol, too. Can't really think of any other Ellington compositions that were written by somebody else.

Yep, the Teachout book discusses it. He’d often hear a musician in his band play something in a solo, offer the guy $25 for it, then use it as the basis of a new composition, with no credit (or, to their eventual realization, royalties) going to the band member.

And I believe his sometimes took credit for Strayhorn’s
compositions, especially early on, but not always.

But he also was a massive compositional talent, and other than Strayhorn, none of the people he “robbed” ever managed a thing on their own.

Also, Billy Strayhorn wrote “Lush Life” when he was a friggin’ teenager.