Re: Your favourite overdrive

My main overdrive for the past while has been a really simple mosfet thing I built for myself that's kind of like a mix of a spaceman saturn and a fairfield barbershop, two ODs I really really like. They're pretty similar pedals (two-stage FET drives), and I'd be totally happy with the stock version of either.

But also anything zvex that's built on stacked SHOs rules (BoR, 2-in-1, box of metal).

Oh yeah, the Orman Mini Booster is a great boost/ push your amp into overdrive. It's the circuit that Fulltone basically lifted for their fat boost.
https://www.muzique.com/amz/mini.htm

I used this as my main boost for EARLY, drum machine Cartographer as well as Replicator in about 2002/2003.

Also, this gain stage type, but re-voiced, is what Catalinbread uses for their amp-style pedals.

Totally worth hammering on to voice based on existing rig.

For something like 8 or 9 years I've been using one of those cheap Joyo Ultimate Drives for bass duty, which is just a Fulltone (ugh) OCD clone. But I've modified it so it doesn't cut so much low end. It's actually probably closer to a distortion than an overdrive though.

I just got one of these $30 Caline "The Americana" pedals, which is supposed to be a clone of a Tech 21 Blonde, and it can do some pretty good overdrive sounds. I've been using it as the front-end for my Leslie. Had to do a mod to bypass the speaker/cab simulator circuit.

The basic, available at every music store in the world Boss SD-1 is my go-to. Volume dimed, gain at 0, tone at noon, sounds better than any of the numerous other OD's I've tried. I'm pretty much just using Marshall or Marshall-style amps though and it seems like the Marshall/SD-1 combination is pretty common knowledge.

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is so cheap and sounds incredible into everything, especially a Bassman or YBA.

I recently got a few different ODs (style and brands) to try some things out. I still really like screamers and klons, but blues drivers have been impressing me and haven't really played with them before. I have a Cinders by TC Electronic and so far, I love it. It apparently sounds exactly like a Boss BD-2. My favorite OD at the moment is the TC Electronic Zeus, a klon-clone with an extra feature that fattens the tone. It just sounds... solid, and is very versatile. I like to throw a mid-boost in front of it to get a screamer quality, but the high freq boost is tight and the FAT switch gives it an extra voice not often found on klons and is a very welcome improvement.

TonyAsh wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 11:17 pm The basic, available at every music store in the world Boss SD-1 is my go-to. Volume dimed, gain at 0, tone at noon, sounds better than any of the numerous other OD's I've tried. I'm pretty much just using Marshall or Marshall-style amps though and it seems like the Marshall/SD-1 combination is pretty common knowledge.
Yeah, that is a classic and definitely does it's thing very well.

I know this had been said, but I'll reiterate with my own details as well. Any EQ pedal with a frowny face and a level boost in front of a JCM800 2203/2204 style circuit is INSTANT Slayer, classic thrash, and/or mega crunch guitar tone. It's an extremely satisfying kind of sound, and fun to play.