Director Christopher Nolan

Guano
Total votes: 9 (39%)
Gold
Total votes: 14 (61%)
Total votes: 23

Re: Director Christopher Nolan

AdamN wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:52 pm Oppenheimer was shit, another movie of his that treats women awfully.
I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet, but I'm very curious about this take. Without rewatching anything I feel like he's another typical patriarchal director without much by way of nuanced, complex, or important female characters. But I gather from your comment you've noticed something worse than that.

For every film and scene in his film I enjoy there are 5 moments when I'm cursing at the screen in annoyance at his blow-hard 'I'm a master of this form of art, it's Kubrick and sir Me' bits. I have not seen a single interview with him but in my mind he must be an insufferable prick who wants to everyone think of him he is genius and I'd probably want to fight him in the real life.

Tenet was a disaster with some parts being incredibly clumsy for any film, like that fire truck scene or part in the begging of several scenes in a row of conversation leading to another conversation in another place.

Oh and the constant explaining of what is going in the film. Like, shut up, I'm to trying to fucking watch it, you overly intellectual artsy fuck. FUUUUCK. CRAP!

Prestige is really good, though!

I saw Oppenheimer this summer and I did see that Nolan won an Oscar for it.

I thought it fit well into the Nolan box of visually thrilling entertainment about worthwhile ideas that is not made for/by rubes. I am totally fine with this, but I still don't think of him as more than that.

losthighway wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:06 pm
AdamN wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 7:52 pm Oppenheimer was shit, another movie of his that treats women awfully.
I haven't seen Oppenheimer yet, but I'm very curious about this take. Without rewatching anything I feel like he's another typical patriarchal director without much by way of nuanced, complex, or important female characters. But I gather from your comment you've noticed something worse than that.
didn't think it was shit, but this is true. He seemingly cannot/does not want to acknowledge women as anything but foils. In retrospect this is all over the Batman films, Inception and Interstellar. it just took me a while to see through the spectacle.